Andy Latimer is playing once again

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

Oldbones

Andy Latimer is playing once again

Postby Oldbones » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 pm

All of us here will have our own private list of guitar heroes who either first awakened that tingle in our blood and twitching in our fingers, or who, in later life, enthralled us as we listened spellbound to their music which left us awestruck and emotional.

The name Andy Latimer may not mean much to many folks - though you may know of his group 'Camel'. For me, his playing has often equalled and even surpassed that of other heroes such as Peter Green or David Gilmour.

In the early 1990's. Andy developed the life-threatening blood disorder polycythaemia which developed into myelofibrosis. Because of Andy's increasing debilitation he found it harder and harder to play with the result that Camel ceased touring. In 2007. Andy underwent a bone marrow transplant and for a long time, the prognosis was very uncertain. However, he has slowly recovered his strength and is now returning to both the studio and the stage.

So if ever you get the chance to watch or hear him play - then enjoy, and join with me in the joy of knowing that his music can continue to enthral at least this old and boney fan.
It isn't how fast you can play that counts - it's that you only play as fast as you need to play that is important.
Silence can be as eloquent as sound.

AndrewD

Re: Andy Latimer is playing once again

Postby AndrewD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 pm

Andy is a tremendous guitarist and I had heard from a friend that he would be touring again. I must dig out my Camel...

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Andy Latimer is playing once again

Postby GORDON » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Oldbones wrote:All of us here will have our own private list of guitar heroes who either first awakened that tingle in our blood and twitching in our fingers, or who, in later life, enthralled us as we listened spellbound to their music which left us awestruck and emotional.

The name Andy Latimer may not mean much to many folks - though you may know of his group 'Camel'. For me, his playing has often equalled and even surpassed that of other heroes such as Peter Green or David Gilmour.

In the early 1990's. Andy developed the life-threatening blood disorder polycythaemia which developed into myelofibrosis. Because of Andy's increasing debilitation he found it harder and harder to play with the result that Camel ceased touring. In 2007. Andy underwent a bone marrow transplant and for a long time, the prognosis was very uncertain. However, he has slowly recovered his strength and is now returning to both the studio and the stage.

So if ever you get the chance to watch or hear him play - then enjoy, and join with me in the joy of knowing that his music can continue to enthral at least this old and boney fan.

My very good friend Geoff Olner is a huge fan of Camel,and like many "who know" Mr Latimer is up there with the best of them.I had the great pleasure of meeting Andy and Peter Bardens many years ago at the Half Moon in Putney.I was invited back for a social get together.Andy came across as a nice man.SO glad he's back playing again.

Return to “General Chat”