New on the GG forum and amazed...

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

matt

New on the GG forum and amazed...

Postby matt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:49 am

Please find the short version at the end of this post.

Long version

....at the wonderful and warm replies people give... There's no harsh words to rank amateurs or the like... :)

Well I'm sure that will change with my arrival :lol: ...

It's been suggested I say hello by the lovely Sue who I've had a nice chat with via email. She warned me which of you to watch out for in advance and that not to worry that she'd edit out anything which I'm apparently not supposed to say about her. Of course I'm sure she won't really read all this so she'll never stop me speaking out about the time she --------------------------------------- and the other time that ------------------------------------------ but that's another story that hopefully no young minds will ever read!

So without talking any more about --------- I'll say hello... :)

A short excerpt from my email to Sue to prove that I am in fact neither a spammer or an extraterrestrial being....

Hi folks...I'm afraid I'm a rank amateur guitar player of the lowest calibre who's looking to improve his skills. I've always enjoyed Gordon's work and I do hope one day to shake his hand and congratulate him on what seems to me more than a lifetimes worth of skill and effort rolled into one mans lifetime! Perhaps not unfeasible as from what I understand he lives in my home town of Sutton Coldfield so it's quite possible that he's sitting just down the road from me as I type this. Anyway, I digress...

I've been toying with the idea to learn how to play for many years... There's been a guitar floating around here and there for years but between work, poor health, young children and a complete lack of any natural genetic skill I've been utterly rubbish and not managed it. Now in my mid thirties, I realised that since non of the things stopping me were likely to change I'd better get down to it asap before the boss (my lovely wife to be Amy) and kids (little lad nearly 5 and little lass 2 going on 13!) realise that I'm just collecting mid range guitars because I like to strum them ineffectually to keep me calm... they also look good on the wall :D

Currently considering several new guitar options one of which is the GG delux sig model... I also need to find a local luthier who isn't afraid to work on cheap guitars that I love dearly. Especially the one I bought from ebay after a good night with friends. A new appreciation for paying attention to labels on bottles from the doctors about not mixing with alcohol was realised that day! Still.. I quite like the early turner guitar I picked up for a song (it was karaoke night at the local) :mrgreen:

I'd love to own an acoustic older than me but finding a good one (I have good hearing and rubbish eyesight) that's cheap or better yet free is very difficult. I'd also really love for at least one of my children to take up guitar and enjoy learning to play. In fact any instrument would be fine short of an oversized drum kit.. :lol:

So yes... I'm daft as a brush and about half as talented. You can run away screaming now folks if you please but I rarely if ever bite and non of my good friends have visible scars to prove it :wink:

If Sue is correct and you did read this post Gordon then I apologise profusely for bringing rambling drivel to your lovely forum. :oops: You can all blame Sue folks she let me in :!:

Short version

Hi folks. I'm Matt and I'm really pleased to have found Mr Gordon Giltrap has a nice forum. I hope to be able to join in :)

I bet Sue misses this bit ---------------------------------------------------- :twisted:
Damn... broke a nail

Sue
Site Admin

Re: New on the GG forum and amazed...

Postby Sue » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 am

Of course I'm sure she won't really read all this

I bet Sue misses this bit ---------------------------------------------------- :twisted:

Hi Matt,

welcome to the forum, yes you did warn me ...... I can see you're going to inject some new life here which will (probably) be a good thing.

I assure you I read EVERYTHING that gets posted here, so you'd better be on your best behaviour - something I fear you may find challenging !! :lol:

Gordon, other Forumites I apologise now for Matt's (over) enthusiasm, as he says - I let him in....... :oops:

I promise I only told him good things about you all.... honest !

Sue
GG webmaster

matt

Postby matt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Yes that's it Sue... Lure them in like lambs to the slaughter... excellent work :D
Damn... broke a nail

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Welcome Matt!
You’ll find everyone on the Forum to be as helpful as they can on any guitar related subject, and most of the time you’ll get too many answers to know what to do with :D . Most of us love guitars, be they acoustic or electric and all are fans of our Gordon. If you want to get into playing Gordons music then I would think something like The Picnic would be the way to start. Check out Tips and Tabs for a lot of his tunings and some tabs. Hopefully meet you at a concert sometime! :)
Have fun
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

kevin

Postby kevin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:21 pm

Yes welcome Matt
Its good on here
Best wishes
Kevin

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum Matt!
Lucky you to live close to Gordon :-).
Cheers,
Piotr

matt

Postby matt » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:04 pm

Bob Wilson wrote:Welcome Matt!
You’ll find everyone on the Forum to be as helpful as they can on any guitar related subject, and most of the time you’ll get too many answers to know what to do with :D . Most of us love guitars, be they acoustic or electric and all are fans of our Gordon. If you want to get into playing Gordons music then I would think something like The Picnic would be the way to start. Check out Tips and Tabs for a lot of his tunings and some tabs. Hopefully meet you at a concert sometime! :)
Have fun
Bob

Fantastic news... I stand a chance of getting some guitar based questions answered then!

I'll hunt around and find the topic you suggest. I'd like to have a go although my fingers are far better at tickling the dog behind the ears than the strings of my guitars!

Oh I'm sure you'll be seeing myself and my Amy at one gig or another. We used to get out a lot to see local artists play but then the kids happened and most family/friends aren't brave enough to look after both the kids at the same time :roll: :lol:

kevin wrote:Yes welcome Matt
Its good on here
Best wishes
Kevin

Thank very much it's nice to be here :)

piotrwargan wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum Matt!
Lucky you to live close to Gordon :-).
Cheers,
Piotr

Thanks Piotr... :) I'm sure Gordon's not saying the same thing :wink:
Damn... broke a nail

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 pm

A warm welcome to you Matt!

Can't really add to what has already been said, other than I'll try to dig out a photo of the Yamato :)

Roger

matt

Postby matt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 am

Just the warm welcome was more than enough thank you Roger :)

I'd love to see the Yamato... Strange that in all these years you're the first person I've ever met to have owned such a wonderfully terrible yet rare guitar... :D
Damn... broke a nail

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 am

Ah Yamato!
I think this badge was manufactured by Tombo which made a lot of different types of guitars back in the 70s (before the lawsuits). I have still got an Angellica LP Recording copy (another Tombo badge) which I just couldn’t get rid of (most Angellicas were acoustic but a few Electrics got through). Made with a hollow either side of a main mid piece I used it for Queen pieces as I think that Brian May’s guitar had the same setup of mid board with hollow outers.
Must dust it off and play it more :P
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt!

You will also find some of Gordon's music/tabs in Acoustic Magazine. Wherever There was Beauty (from Ravens & Lullabies) was featured in the December edition. It is both a beautiful piece of music and one of Gordon's more straightforward pieces (it requires a partial capo).

All the Best,

Roger

matt

Postby matt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Bob Wilson wrote:Ah Yamato!
I think this badge was manufactured by Tombo which made a lot of different types of guitars back in the 70s (before the lawsuits). I have still got an Angellica LP Recording copy (another Tombo badge) which I just couldn’t get rid of (most Angellicas were acoustic but a few Electrics got through). Made with a hollow either side of a main mid piece I used it for Queen pieces as I think that Brian May’s guitar had the same setup of mid board with hollow outers.
Must dust it off and play it more :P
Bob

I'm glad you know what your talking about ... I'll just admire from a safe distance and try and learn as much as possible whilst pretending to understand the terminology :D

Roger USA wrote:Welcome to the forum Matt!

You will also find some of Gordon's music/tabs in Acoustic Magazine. Wherever There was Beauty (from Ravens & Lullabies) was featured in the December edition. It is both a beautiful piece of music and one of Gordon's more straightforward pieces (it requires a partial capo).

All the Best,

Roger

Hi Roger and thanks for the welcome and the very welcome info ... I'll go take a look immediately :)
Damn... broke a nail

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:56 pm

And I'm very pleased and proud to say that "Em's Tune" features in the February edition of Acoustic Magazine :D :D :D (Em is my better half Matt).

matt

Postby matt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:58 pm

Well that was a good enough excuse to take a digital subscription to Acoustic :mrgreen:

I've had a quick look... But thanks to a cold and several 'medicinal' measures of whisky I can't really decide if I should take a stab at reading tab again. My piano lessons are faaaaaar behind me so I won't be attempting that side of things. If anybody has a You Tube video on how to play Em's Tune ...

I've watched these repeatedly ... I'm not sure I'm ready to even attempt to play something as delightful... :oops: Has anyone got the tab for chopsticks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7ePxavGsA&hd=1

from another angle..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zu_nPZ29E0&hd=1

Too much Giltrap for one computer? That's two screens if your wondering ;)

I think I need my own guitar to try this one... Does anyone thing that excuse will work on the wife to be?
Damn... broke a nail

Return to “General Chat”