Happy Christmas!

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

Mike Stranks

Happy Christmas!

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:43 am

Festive Felicitations and the Condiments of the Season to one and all!

Wilf sends his best to those who know him, too.

Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

piotrwargan

Re: Happy Christmas!

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:31 am

Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Piotr and Ania

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:45 am

Happy Christmas All

hope you all got through the storm last night problem free. Unfortunately we have a large amount of water leaking in to our conservatory and living room - I never knew that patio doors could make such an attractive indoor water feature with streams of water running down both sides!! :shock: :evil: :cry:

Next problem - have you tried getting through to an insurance company after a major storm on Christmas Eve ?? And as for builders / roofers they are all sunning themselves in Barbados this time of year....

I'm just worried about how bad it will continue to get as more storms are forecast - well we do live at the highest point overlooking the bay in direct line of the bad weather .... we've had to turn the groundfloor lighting circuit off too as its spreading across the ceiling now....

So, Christmas is officially cancelled here, but despite that I really DO wish you all a lovely time, :D

At least the computer still works - at the moment !!

Sue
GG webmaster

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:03 pm

This is such rotten luck.

Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Love to you Both.

G & H.x

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Just like to add our Xmas greetings to the thread!

Best to all forum members,

Roger & Em x

PS Sue really sorry to hear about your problems. If you weren't on the South Coast last night it would be difficult to appreciate the magnitude of what was going on - think we got about 2 hours sleep with the wind, rain , flying dustbins etc. Fortunately other than some damage to our garden fence I think we're OK, but there has been major disruption in Hampshire and Sussex.

When we had our flat there were always issues with water coming in, be it weather or neighbours. In fact after one washing machine episode I lived in a local hotel for two weeks while the repairs were carried out :(

I guess what I'm saying is that we know how you and Mike must feel. The other annoying thing is that even the best insurance doesn't cover everything, like the clearing up.

Best to you both and hope that you soon get things sorted!

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:56 am

Hi Roger,

well in the end we were VERY lucky - we managed to get a local builder who had officially packed up for Xmas to take pity on us come out and do temporary repairs which hopefully will stop us getting too much more water in until he can do full repair in the New Year.

The weather has calmed down a lot now although more is forecast.

Compared to some we got off lightly - there are still 17,000 homes in Kent without power. There are a lot of trees down, some local flooding, roads, ports and airports near us closed.

Anyway, while the weather is calm we will be able to carry on as planned - so Xmas is back on :D - for today at least, but we daren't go out if it gets rough again as by being here we can limit further damage.

Thanks for thinking of us, have a wonderful day,

Sue
GG webmaster

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:37 am

Hi Sue.

Calamities always seem to come at the least convenient times - by definition I guess.

You and Mike are in our thoughts and prayers and we trust you can salvage some Xmas joy.

We send out seasonal greetings to all reading this - may your festivities be hearty and joyous.

Keith & Fiona xx
Last edited by keithmeredith on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone in Giltrap land had a very Merry Christmas and that Sue and any others suffering from the UK's recent storms survived the rest of the holiday without further distress.

May you all enjoy a very happy and healthy New Year.

All the best,

Roger and Ethan

PS Gordon's version of "I Saw Three Ships...." from A Midnight Clear, has been Ethan's favorite tune of the holidays!

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Roger USA wrote:Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone in Giltrap land had a very Merry Christmas and that Sue and any others suffering from the UK's recent storms survived the rest of the holiday without further distress.

May you all enjoy a very happy and healthy New Year.

All the best,

Roger and Ethan

PS Gordon's version of "I Saw Three Ships...." from A Midnight Clear, has been Ethan's favorite tune of the holidays!

And the very same to you sir.

We had a great Christmas which continues today and tomorrow with family visits.

Tell Ethan he is a man of taste.

A happy Christmas to you and your family.

Gordon & Hilary.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:36 am

An update for interested friends: Christmas Day and Boxing Day were better weather wise, but we had bad gales again last night although not such torrential rain. Unfortunately the problem is still there with both sides of our patio doors once again running with water and only slightly better by virtue of the lower amount of rainfall.

No idea what we do now as neither we or the builder can work out where the water is coming in.

Compared to the many who have flooded we have got off lightly but we are faced with continued mopping up and a very long and expensive job of dismantling the roof and rear of the house section by section to try and find the source of the water ingress - which won't be covered by insurance and probably can't even be started until the worst of the winter weather is over.

Further update: Now spoken to a surveyor who is coming on 8th Jan to assess the problem - praying for some dry weather in the next month or so !

Sue
GG webmaster

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Dear Sue and Mike,

We do hope that the situation gets better soon... Keeping fingers crossed.

All the best,
Piotr and Ania

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Sue

Yes DIRE conditions again last night on the South Coast :( For what it's worth I think you're doing the right thing getting a surveyor involved, who should have the ability to get to the cause of the problem so that it can be put right permanently. In our experience builders will look for the obvious cause, do the work and charge for it, then it's bad luck if they get it wrong, so they'll look at it again and charge for even more work which doesn't rectify the original problem. At least with a surveyor there should be a certain level of accountability.

Good luck Guys!

Roger & Em x

Return to “General Chat”