Chipping Norton - 2 / 2 / 2014

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Chipping Norton - 2 / 2 / 2014

Postby keithmeredith » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Dark. Menacing. Foreboding. Three words that cannot be used to describe the historic and picturesque jewel of the Cotswolds that is Chipping Norton – affectionately known as Chippy.

The compact and bijou auditorium of Chippy’s theatre reminded me a little of a Victorian style music hall – unsurprising as I learned later that it’s designer was indeed responsible for many such venues. However this charming building was initially constructed as a Salvation Army Citadel in 1888 – progressing through use as a furniture repository until its adaption to a two hundred-seat theatre some forty years ago. There were to be no traditional Sally Army brass band playing tonight though – we were here to see and hear one Giltrap G. – Troubadour par excellence.

We were most happy to be welcomed by Sir Mike Stranks – unusually in charge of merchandise duties instead of flying the sound desk – and although we did go to say hello to Gordon in the green room, he was snoozing so peacefully that it seemed churlish to wake him.

The rest clearly did Mr.G some good. Opening with Appalachian Dreaming on the resurrected car boot guitar, we quickly progressed through tunes ancient and modern including: Dublin Day, Here Comes the Sun, Mrs. Singer’s Waltz, and my current favorite piece, Wherever there was Beauty. The memory of the family Jansch was honoured with Bert’s version of Angie - and newish piece, Loren – dedicated to Bert’s wife – which preceded a flawlessly delivered Dodo’s Dream as first set finale.

The second set continued – delivered in the usual Giltrap style – ie. with wit, an easy charm, and demonstrating considerable skill.
Shining Morn led us into Camber Sands, Issabella was wed once more and Maddy again went West. Gordon demonstrated “slap back delay” with the astounding Splinter and treated us to the album version of the evergreen Heartsong. An impromptu outing of the technical Tailor Bird preceded the reworked bus driver’s anthem Routes (sorry) and Lucifer’s Cage left the walls reverberating and the audience well satisfied.

Gordon Giltrap continues to amaze with his ability, expertise, and musicianship – and his compositions can elicit many emotional responses. Although he has been producing his music for over four decades, he remains a modest and self-effacing fellow – but nevertheless remains supremely professional. Giltrap melodies corroborate the words of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who said that music is the language spoken by angels.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Chipping Norton - 2 / 2 / 2014

Postby GORDON » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Dear Keith..I was feeling below par on Sunday, and your lovely review has made my day.

Many many thanks sir.

Be we'll both

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:11 pm

Keith,

As always a pleasure to read one of your reviews :D

Gordon,

First it's "Have you ever tried using more fingers", then "You don't play many barre chords" - which planet do these people come from? :evil:

Best to you both guys,

Roger (from the soggy, windy South :( )

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 am

Hello,

I can only second Roger's words, Keith. Great pleasure it is. And do you guys know how lucky you are being so close to Gordon's concert venues!

Roger: these people you quoted are certainly from another planet where no (air)waves bring great music to the ears and hearts of those who love it!

All the best,
Piotr

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:50 am

Excellent as always Sir Keith!

Yes Roger; we had a few 'characters' with us on Sunday... the 'chords' incident was one of several in a fun-packed evening! :lol:

From my perspective a lovely place to work... helpful and friendly staff - both FoH and technically - and a sound-tech who knew her stuff, asked what sound we were looking for, was open to suggestions and produced an excellent mix. (The females of the species are often far-more competent, with commensurate people-skills, than the males! :mrgreen: )

... and I share your assessment of current favourite m'Lord...
The older I get, the better I used to be

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Hi Keith,

An excellent review (as ever) that communicates the feel of the occasion to us wherever we are in the world.

As a keen historian I also loved your mini history of the theatre - it created a wonderful image of the venue.

As Piotr said, I envy your access to Gordon's concerts. I was checking the concert schedule over the past few days and thinking I would love to see a Ravens & Lullabies full band gig and Double Vision and 4 Parts Guitar and the maestro himself solo and......

This year I can't visit during May, always a good time for concerts, but the second half of June and early July is looking bleak.....

Good as they are I hope your reviews aren't as close as I get to a concert this year!

All the best,

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”