The Lamb Inn, Old Town, Eastbourne

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

The Lamb Inn, Old Town, Eastbourne

Postby Roger » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:07 am

Over the past couple of years Eastbourne has become one of our favourite places for a weekend break (must be my age :) ) and what better reason for going there than a GG gig. Nice venue too - an old inn with wooden beams, low ceilings and real ale! We also have great memories of the 4 Parts gig at Eastbourne last year, so we thought we’d be in for a good time!

When we arrived Hilary told us that their journey to Eastbourne had been a lengthy one, and then there was a big problem regarding the PA system. Well none of this appeared to matter too much as a relaxed Gordon went straight into “A Dublin Day”, which is always a good start to a gig. Pretty soon the hauntingly beautiful “Loren” made an appearance, as did “Anji” - both very apt so soon after the Bert Jansch tribute concert.

The set continued with a lot of variation and the sort of jokes, banter and stories that Gordon produces when relaxed and in full flow (never did get a Menorca holiday voucher with my “cheap and cheerful” travel guitar :) ) The first half of the show, which lasted pretty much an hour, ended with a superb version of “Dodo”, which I thought was enhanced by some distortion through the disco/bingo PA. Great soloing by Gordon too - wonder what the people who turned up for the acoustic gig thought :wink:

After the break Gordon continued on top form in every respect. “Tailor Bird” and “Splinter“ were excellent, as was “The Lord’s Seat”, while a sublime version of “On Camber Sands“ had one person sitting close to me in tears. Finally, the applause after “Heartsong” and the encore of “Lucifer’s Cage”, with it’s enhanced beginning and end, were a great finale to a marvellous evening.

Before we left for our hotel it was a pleasure to catch up with Gordon and Hilary in the cosy bar of the Lamb. “The Dambusters”, “Oh, Oh Antonio”……………won’t say what came next to save Em's blushes :)

Thanks again Gordon and Hilary for a great evening, one that will remain in the memory for a very long time. Hope to see you both again before too long and of course have a lovely Xmas!

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”