The Stables, Wavendon - with BJH - 9 /11 /2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

The Stables, Wavendon - with BJH - 9 /11 /2013

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm

We have visited The Stables at Wavendon, Milton Keynes on a number of occasions – and the building, organization and friendly people – many of them volunteers – who welcome us, are always impressive.

Established in 1969 by John Dankworth and Cleo Laine – literally in an old stable block – the Stables has grown into one of the premier music venues in the U.K.

As Fiona and I sat consuming refreshing beverages in the foyer – along with Hilary, esteemed web-mistress, Sue and her significant other, Mike – we did not espy any familiar faces. The concert was sold out and clearly many of the assembled were here to see the support band – John Lees’ Barclay James Harvest. We therefore determined that it was up to our happy group to offer support to ‘our boys’ – Messrs. Giltrap and Wakeman.

The task was simpler than we imagined. From their unannounced arrival on the stage, Gordon and Oliver received the warmth and appreciation of a knowledgeable audience. They were on top form and presented an absolutely cracking set. (As Wallace would say.)

Maddie goes West, Perfect Day, Fiona’s Smile, LJW, Elizabethan Pirates, The Forgotten King, Roots, Wondrous Stories, and Heartsong were all performed flawlessly – during a forty five minute set that didn’t seem at all rushed. The clap-o-meter went off the scale after each piece – but sadly time constraints meant that the rapturous calls for more had to go unanswered.

Following a short interval, Barclay James Harvest took to the stage for the third concert (of nine) of their November UK tour to promote their latest album, NORTH.

I had not seen BJH perform live before. Although friends and I knew of the band in our younger days (yes, I did have some) I had not followed them since. The fans present loudly welcomed the new songs but to my ears Gordon and Oliver had earned louder applause – or perhaps I’m biased. I recognized the classic Child of the Universe, and the double encore Mockingbird and Hymn, which did arouse a partial standing ovation.

Oh dear. Re-reading that last paragraph makes it sound like I didn’t enjoy the performance of Mr. Lees and co. but I did – I’m just not that familiar with their output - and they were not my principal reason for attending.

A satisfying restaurant meal followed by fine music in affable company - overall a most pleasant and enjoyable evening out with the Smiling One.
Last edited by keithmeredith on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: The Stables, Wavendon - with BJH - 9 /11 /2013

Postby GORDON » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 pm

So good to see you Keith and as ever a superbly worded account of the evening which for us was indeed special.I think we are just about getting the hang of it now and the playing is getting pretty tight.

How great that Sue and Mike were there to witness a rather special evening.Im sure they thought it as worth the long journey from Thanet,I do hope so as they are such faithful supporters of all we do,and good friends

Be well both.

G&H.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

Hi Keith,

Lovely to meet up with you and Fiona again, thanks as ever for your brilliant report. I know I can always rely on you. You have beaten our tally of gigs attended this year, I think we are on about 6.

We were only able to meet briefly with Gordon and Oliver backstage before the show as they were still setting up and sound checking but then enjoyed spending some time with Hilary and yourselves. Always great to catch up - sorry we missed you afterwards.

We were unable to book our tickets as early as we might have liked and the show was almost sold out by the time we did, consequently ended up sitting high up to the side of the stage which meant we could only see Gordon's back while he was playing which was a little strange, and sound-wise we seemed to be hearing the monitors rather than the main speakers but the guys did themselves proud. 10 tracks in 45 minutes meant the usual banter was a little cut back but there were a couple of very funny ad-libs from both Gordon and Oliver which further endeared them to the audience

The audience (of BJH fans not necessarily GG / OW fans) certainly loved them. I overheard one chap in the interval telling Oliver he had no idea who they were at the start of the show but how much he loved it.

Like you Keith, we knew the classic BJH tunes but hadn't kept up over the years but now have the latest CD to get us more up to date.

Overall a very enjoyable evening and couple of days away including a trip to the Cowper and Newton Museum in Olney on Sat (Cowper was a poet and Newton an anti slave campaigner who wrote Amazing Grace) and on Sunday, Bletchley Park.

Living where we do - at the end of the known world in Ramsgate - we have to make more effort than some to get to shows but it was definitely worth it. Even the M25 was kind to us !

Sue and Mike
GG webmaster

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:38 am

As always, an excellent review Mr Merryteeth - Wilf send his regards by the way.

This has whetted my appetite even more for Tavistock at the end of next week when I shall be 'crewing' for G & O. I'm particularly looking forward to introducing my brother, Dave, to Gordon for 'twas he who introduced me to Gordon's music back in 1976...
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”