Sutton Coldfield - 3 / 11 / 2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Sutton Coldfield - 3 / 11 / 2013

Postby keithmeredith » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Sunday evening, 3rd November, found Fiona and me braving the delights of the M6 motorway to Birmingham to attend a concert in the locale of Giltrap Towers. The Duke Street Church Centre was the venue - St Giles Hospice in Sutton Coldfield the beneficiary.

This gig enabled Gordon to continue his support for the important work of the hospice. By attending, the audience of about one hundred and sixty souls raised some two thousand pounds for this most worthy of causes.

The Church Centre is a modern building – the auditorium lending itself equally to spiritual services or musical entertainment. Upon our arrival the ever-supportive Hilary greeted us, and I noted with approval that Sir Mike Stranks once again tended the twiddly knobs and switches of the sound desk.

After a brief address by Linda Bridges of St Giles Hospice, Gordon proceeded to entertain in his own inimitable way. The stories and reminiscences of a long and successful career in the music business are always fascinating (even the ones I’ve heard before) - and the audience rewarded the modest and self-deprecating Giltrap manner with warmth and appreciation. Oh – the music was pretty good too.

The first set contained some reflective pieces: including the more rarely heard Picnic and Nursery Chimes, Fiona’s Smile, and the beautiful Wherever There Is Beauty – the musical tribute and memorial to artist Peter Pritchard. This latter was perhaps made more poignant by the presence of Peter’s widow, Sheila, to whom we were privileged to be introduced during the interval.

Said interval saw liquid refreshment and light nibbles and canapés gratefully received.

Second half highlights included: Five Dollar Guitar, On Camber Sands, Isabella’s Wedding, Mrs. Singer’s Waltz, and introduced Loren - dedicated to the wife of Bert Jansch. In December Gordon is to play this latter piece at the Royal Festival Hall at a concert that will celebrate the life and music of his friend and inspiration.

We were sent on our way in traditional manner with Heartsong – followed by a tumultuous rendition of Lucifer’s Cage – I think turned up to eleven by Mike.

Fiona asked me before this gig if I would be “rodeoing” at the end of the evening. Of course I am always more than happy to help Gordon and Mike to pack and load – I just wish that I’d had my Stetson and leather chaps with me. Ye ha!

Roger USA

Re: Sutton Coldfield - 3 / 11 / 2013

Postby Roger USA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 pm

A great review as ever Keith. Sounds liked a really good concert.

How many of Gordon's concerts do you get to in a year? Are you a GG season ticket holder?

All the best,

Roger

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 am

Hi Roger,

I trust that you and yours are well.

I've just looked back and realised that I have attended ten gigs in the last twelve month period that have featured Mr.Giltrap - eleven if you count tomorrow's concert at The Stables in Milton Keynes where Gordon and Oliver have a brand new support band. Had to make up for the previous year - only a paltry four.

Don't regret a single mile travelled - the Troubadour delivers pure musical magic every time.

Best wishes,

Keith

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Keith,

Eleven concerts in less than a year sounds like some sort of record! The Stables is a great venue - I used to live around the corner from there in the early 2000s. It was the concert I was hoping to get to with my wife this year, but we couldn't make it work with her business travel schedule. Hopefully next year!

All the best to you and Fiona.

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”