Other Fingers!

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Other Fingers!

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:12 am

Gordon,

I'm not on Twitter, but a mate who is has just told me about the "other fingers" comment :shock: You should have said " Yes I'll use them now" and then poked the offender in the eyes (or punched them on the nose!). Seriously,I hope you just gave them a withering look :) Amazing how many "experts" there are out there.

Very best to you and H,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Other Fingers!

Postby GORDON » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Roger wrote:Gordon,

I'm not on Twitter, but a mate who is has just told me about the "other fingers" comment :shock: You should have said " Yes I'll use them now" and then poked the offender in the eyes (or punched them on the nose!). Seriously,I hope you just gave them a withering look :) Amazing how many "experts" there are out there.

Very best to you and H,

Roger

Hi Roger.

This was a person who saw me on Justin Sandercoe's website.My reply was "Wow I never thought of that, will get to it straightaway".this person was obviously ignorant in many areas and therefore you have to treat them as such.

Just for the record, my technique is basically thumb and first finger except I use a pick as a thumb and the little finger instead of an index finger.The aforementioned technique of thumb and finger was used by the late great John Martyn and that towering genius of the Blues the reverend Garry Davies who used EXACTLY this technique to create some of THE most beautiful and complex blues pieces in the history of the guitar.

Guitar virtuoso's like Stefan Grossman and my good friend Wood Mann have been teaching this material and technique for many years now,and players who use an orthodox finger style technique still find this stuff challenging!

Can't really add much more than this, but in all honesty it did raise a smile.

It would be like suggesting to Andre Segovia to think about adopting a plectrum technique to improve his playing!

The mind boggles!!!

Be well Roger and " hi" to Em.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Roger & Gordon,

That's unbelievable!

Maybe he should try playing some of Gordon's songs? I am sure he would find that quite an enlightening experience..... You "only" need two fingers :)

We listen with our ears and it is purely about the sound that is created by a guitar (or any other instrument) not how that sound is generated.

The author of such insight has no doubt posted other words of wisdom on other twitter accounts, including suggesting that Keith Richards add a 6th string to his famous telecaster "Micawber" as it would only be "proper".

In my experience it is the application of unconventional styles and approaches that creates the most unique and distinctive sounds. It is also why most of us have a day job.

All the best everyone,

Roger

Roger

Postby Roger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Gordon,

On the subject of technique I think you use a few more fingers on the harping section of God Save The Queen :) You also manage to withdraw your pick into the palm of your hand, which I have seen you do before to free up your other fingers for picking, but I can't remember on which song you do this :oops: - please put me out of my misery!

Best to you Sir,

Roger

....................................................................................................................................................

Roger,

Good to hear from you! Hope you and the family are keeping well!

Best wishes,

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Roger wrote:Gordon,

On the subject of technique I think you use a few more fingers on the harping section of God Save The Queen :) You also manage to withdraw your pick into the palm of your hand, which I have seen you do before to free up your other fingers for picking, but I can't remember on which song you do this :oops: - please put me out of my misery!

Best to you Sir,

Roger

..........................................................................................................................................

Roger,

Good to hear from you! Hope you and the family are keeping well!

Best wishes,

Roger

Hi Roger,I hold the pick whilst "harping" and is something I have done for yonks now and is something that just evolved without thinking about.I have to do this on NURSERY CHIMES .... WHO KNOWS WHERE TOMORROW GOES.....LJW....NATURES WAY,and probably other pieces.

Thanks for your interest buddy.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”