St.Mary"s Church - Bampton - 7 / 9 / 13

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

St.Mary"s Church - Bampton - 7 / 9 / 13

Postby keithmeredith » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm

The weather forecast proved inaccurate – and I didn’t get wet on my two-wheeled trundle down to the picturesque village of Bampton in Oxfordshire – although the return journey was a little nippy.

As I approached the magnificent edifice of St.Mary’s church, little did I realize its significance in the global televisual phenomenon that is Downton Abbey (a period saga that has I fear, along with many other dramas, totally passed me by). This is the actual venue where Lady Mary married her cousin, Matthew Crawley: and was also where the actual Gordon Giltrap was to entertain a congregation to raise funds for the local school.

Most appropriately the ancient church was still bedecked with flowers from afternoon nuptials – and concert organizer, James Wildman, greeted me warmly.

The audience gathered and settled in their pews, and, when the Troubadour began to play, was immediately captivated by the modest, self-effacing charm and prodigious melodic ability of our hero. They were so very quiet and attentive too.

The first set included: Shining Morn, A Dublin Day, Mrs. Singer’s Waltz, Here comes the Sun, Appalachian Dreaming – featuring the return of the fabulous sounding “car boot guitar”- and concluded with a well received and church roof raising version of Dodo’s Dream.

Something a little special awaited those present following the interval. Shortly before the concert, the tag ‘with special guest’ was added to the gig’s listing – and rather less than thirty-six hours later, Gordon introduced maestro Raymond Burley to the stage. And so the second set became an (almost) impromptu performance by Double Vision.

The two friends presented a flawless set, which included: The Racer, Down the River, Tailor Bird and a slightly unseasonal Christmas Carol – and well demonstrated their copious skills and professionalism. I do hope that the audience – and the lone bat that performed aerial stunts (didn’t want to say aeroBATtics) whilst searching for its roost in the belfry - appreciated this sadly rare musical teaming.

Gordon concluded the evening’s proceedings with an energetic performance of Heartsong and, after the vociferous and strident calls of “more”, gave a choice of a loud and fast encore or a quiet reflective piece. The old rockers in the flock won the day and Lucifer’s Cage sent us all on our way.

For me a magnificent day – I met some charming people, attended a glorious venue, heard some superlative music played by two incomparably talented musicians – and I still had the ride home to the Smiling One to look forward to. Thank you Gordon (and Ray).

Roger

Re: St.Mary"s Church - Bampton - 7 / 9 / 13

Postby Roger » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Keith,

As always a great review in every respect - sounds like a superb evening!

It was our intention to get to this gig, but unfortunately Em is suffering from back trouble at the moment which makes long car journeys a bit uncomfortable.

Never mind - one day we will meet Sir :D

Best to you and Fiona,

Roger

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:14 am

hi Roger,

Sorry to hear that Em is suffering. I can empathise as I have had back problems myself since my twenties. Take care Em: trust that you feel better soon.

All best wishes

Keith & Fiona

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi Roger,

sending our good wishes to Em and hope she soon feels better,

Sue and Mike
GG webmaster

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 pm

I also send best wishes and healing thoughts to Em,without whome one of my favourite compositions would not exist!
Well, not without our Roger making it happen! :D :) :lol:
Be Well Em.

G&H.x

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:21 pm

keithmeredith wrote:The weather forecast proved inaccurate – and I didn’t get wet on my two-wheeled trundle down to the picturesque village of Bampton in Oxfordshire – although the return journey was a little nippy.

As I approached the magnificent edifice of St.Mary’s church, little did I realize its significance in the global televisual phenomenon that is Downton Abbey (a period saga that has I fear, along with many other dramas, totally passed me by). This is the actual venue where Lady Mary married her cousin, Matthew Crawley: and was also where the actual Gordon Giltrap was to entertain a congregation to raise funds for the local school.

Most appropriately the ancient church was still bedecked with flowers from afternoon nuptials – and concert organizer, James Wildman, greeted me warmly.

The audience gathered and settled in their pews, and, when the Troubadour began to play, was immediately captivated by the modest, self-effacing charm and prodigious melodic ability of our hero. They were so very quiet and attentive too.

The first set included: Shining Morn, A Dublin Day, Mrs. Singer’s Waltz, Here comes the Sun, Appalachian Dreaming – featuring the return of the fabulous sounding “car boot guitar”- and concluded with a well received and church roof raising version of Dodo’s Dream.

Something a little special awaited those present following the interval. Shortly before the concert, the tag ‘with special guest’ was added to the gig’s listing – and rather less than thirty-six hours later, Gordon introduced maestro Raymond Burley to the stage. And so the second set became an (almost) impromptu performance by Double Vision.

The two friends presented a flawless set, which included: The Racer, Down the River, Tailor Bird and a slightly unseasonal Christmas Carol – and well demonstrated their copious skills and professionalism. I do hope that the audience – and the lone bat that performed aerial stunts (didn’t want to say aeroBATtics) whilst searching for its roost in the belfry - appreciated this sadly rare musical teaming.

Gordon concluded the evening’s proceedings with an energetic performance of Heartsong and, after the vociferous and strident calls of “more”, gave a choice of a loud and fast encore or a quiet reflective piece. The old rockers in the flock won the day and Lucifer’s Cage sent us all on our way.

For me a magnificent day – I met some charming people, attended a glorious venue, heard some superlative music played by two incomparably talented musicians – and I still had the ride home to the Smiling One to look forward to. Thank you Gordon (and Ray).

Brilliantly written as ever Keith. Great to see you, and didn't we do well.I love working with Ray.

Best.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 am

... another great review Keith... and I see you've invented a new punctuation mark! :wink:

Sorry I couldn't make it, but I am up to my eyes in organising this http://www.cslewisjubileefestival.org/index.html at the moment.

Be well and we'll met again soon.

Mike
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”