The Great British Folk Festival - Skegness 2012

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

BRC

The Great British Folk Festival - Skegness 2012

Postby BRC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 pm

I have posted under 'More Music' my review of The Great British Folk Festival - entries for each day, but include an extract of the reference to Gordon's set here. Although not strictly a concert, I still think it worthy of mention under this topic:

We queued, got our seats, chatted a lot with people who were new to Gordon’s music (or at least thought they were) and quite a number who had never heard of ‘Gordon Giltrap’ before. How is that possible? I suppose on the basis that we had not heard of all the acts who were appearing at the festival it was, just about possible.

Noticeable from this performance was that there were no ‘groupies’ crowding the stage area and all could see and hear Gordon play. The introduction began in the usual Giltrap self-effacing way with even the MC introducing him as ‘a legend in his own lunchtime’ – a many times used phrase by others but it added to the warmth of the evening (inside the theatre, anyway).

Gordon launched into his repertoire that I am very familiar with, including ‘Lucifer’s Cage’, ‘Isabelle’s Wedding’, ‘Here Comes The Sun’ and many others, but surprised me with the inclusion of ‘Rachel’s Reflections’. A piece I have never heard him perform live before but was really delighted with as I consider it to be a very beautiful piece of music. Whoever Rachel is has been honoured greatly with this composition. The atmosphere in the theatre was definitely very warm towards Gordon and the audience amazed at his prowess and versatility on guitar. Was there really only Gordon playing just one guitar at a time? Yes, there was – well until he played ‘The Dodo’s Dream’. Those who did not know Gordon’s music were now in awe as Gordon not only played guitar but accompanied himself in various other guitar parts – courtesy of the Boss Loop Station (still the RC-20XL?) and other effects box(es). Still a masterful and commanding performance – a piece I love hearing live as there are always new bits and variations to discover each time.

Sadly Gordon’s set had to come to an end – ‘The Gathering’ were due on at 21:15 – and he obliged the audiences call for an encore with ‘Heartsong’ – familiar to so many, though they may never have known its title or heard it played acoustically before.

An excellent performance all round, as I have come to expect, and without doubt one that has won many more new fans. I spoke to quite a few people afterwards, as did my wife and friends and they confirm that Gordon ‘wowed them’.

Gordon let people know he would be 65 years old next April (2013) but any thoughts of retirement will have to wait as this performance has left many more people eager to see you in concert.
Last edited by BRC on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: The Great British Folk Festival - Skegness 2012

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am

Thank you SO much for that lengthy and exceedingly warm review of a special weekend in our calendar. We always enjoy the festival although it's only our second visit. I'm delighted you enjoyed my performance especially Rachel's Reflections which I have recently got under the fingers for ongoing performance on the old Baritone guitar that had been in mothballs
for some time.

Be well, and THANKYOU once again for taking the time to write such a nice review.

G.

BRC

Postby BRC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 am

You are entirely welcome and all praise thoroughly deserved by you.

As a note of contrast, yesterday evening my wife and I went to see Chris Wood at Faversham Folk Club. I have some albums of his , though had never seen him perform live. Rather dissapointing as he seemed to be singing to himself rather than the audience and lacked any real variation in material. I won't add more other than to say my wife's comments are much harsher than mine.

I have been to quite a few of your solo perfomances over the years and can honestly say that, no matter what or where the venue, you have always delivered a superb performance and engaged the audience. That is why you have gained such a loyal following and something other performers could do well to learn from you.

Brad

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Brad.I thank you most sincerely sir.

Be well and have a great Christmas.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”