Huntingdon Hall - 23/11/2012

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Huntingdon Hall - 23/11/2012

Postby keithmeredith » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm

On a cold and decidedly damp Friday 23rd November at the former Methodist Huntingdon Hall in the fair city of Worcester, a congregation gathered in this atmospheric ecclesiastic building to be uplifted: not by worshiping their deity – but by the music of a quartet of the finest musical exponents of wood and wire. Four Parts Guitar. - Ray Burley, Gordon Giltrap, John Etheridge and Clive Carroll

I always find it interesting to compare and contrast the distinctive manner in which these skilled performers express and execute their music. Gordon’s technique is all his own (Giltrapian?) and contrasts with Ray’s precise classical renditions which is different again to John’s more anarchic and flowing jazz style. Mr. Carroll seems to have mastered all methods and genres, and is impossible to pigeonhole.

This penultimate concert of their all too brief 2012 tour followed the now familiar format of solo sets by our distinguished performers – demonstrating their individual styles – followed by a second half with Ray, Gordon, John and Clive on stage together playing as duos, trios and quartet

Particular first half highlights for me included On Camber Sands (with a prelude of Kaz): Sarabande by Bach (a hero of Mr. Burley): John’s M’Sanduza - a South African piece conjuring up images of the veldt: and Clive’s celebration of his daughter - Eliza’s Eyes.

The varied combinations of players following the interval produced some wonderful harmonies. Django Reinhart’s Swing 42 saw John and Clive grinning manically at each other as they played, and Clive and Ray executed beautifully the Renaissance Suite. Tailorbird from the Peacock Party album is a favorite of mine – delivered precisely by Gordon and Ray – followed closely by the whole company playing A Dublin Day.

Of course the whole evening was a delight – and the receptive audience were engrossed in the wonderful music: astounded by the skill: and lifted by the humour. The “ three old farts and a young dude” did good methinks.
Last edited by keithmeredith on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roger

Re: Huntingdon Hall - 24/11/2012

Postby Roger » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:21 pm

Keith,

As always a pleasure to read your review :D As you say there is such a contrast between these four guitarists, but they complement each other so well. Totally agree with your thoughts about Clive too!

Glad you had a great evening :D

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Huntingdon Hall - 23/11/2012

Postby GORDON » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:35 am

A big THANKYOU to Keith for not only a fab review but for his ongoing help with being an unpaid roadie at the gigs.You are a good egg Keith.

Be well both.

G.

Mike Stranks

Re: Huntingdon Hall - 23/11/2012

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 am

Too right Gordon!

The Mighty Meredith is always a welcome sight at gigs when I'm on sound-tech duties.

I know that Keith will always pitch-in with the de-rigging without even being asked; he's done it so many times that he knows exactly what to do with the lightest of direction from me.

But far more important than that, he's become a good friend over the years whose humour and genuine 'thoroughly nice bloke' approach always brighten my life!

We honour you Sir Keith!
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”