New website

We'd like to know what you think of Gordon's website. What features do you like, what would you like to see included in future ? Post your comments here.

Moderator: GORDON

Mlower

New website

Postby Mlower » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Stunning new site. Many thanks to all those involved.:D
Martin.

Russ

Postby Russ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Congratulations Gordon and well done to Sue......a splendid job!

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Russ wrote:Congratulations Gordon and well done to Sue......a splendid job!

I'll second Russ' thoughts there! Serious kudos winging its way in Sue's direction. Really nice looking site and easy to surf round too!

8) Nice one! 8)

Russ

Postby Russ » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:51 pm

Unfortunately, I do find this type of 'forum' totally counter intuitive - it's taken me about ten minutes to find where to post this, and even now I'm not sure it's in the right place - so I doubt I'll have an involvement in the 'forums' in the future. But that doesn't mean it's not great! Good luck to all concerned and I'll try to be watching from the sidelines!
Russ

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:55 am

Russ wrote:Unfortunately, I do find this type of 'forum' totally counter intuitive - it's taken me about ten minutes to find where to post this, and even now I'm not sure it's in the right place -Russ

Hi Russ,
I really hope you decide to stick with it and post as you always have something good to contribute.

I tried to set the initial categorys to be user friendly, but they are just guidelines, not set in stone.

Where to post will become more obvious as more posts go on, but even if you posted in the "wrong" place, on this Forum at least, nobody would mind in the slightest ! :D

So please, post away
Sue

Bob Wilson

New Website

Postby Bob Wilson » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:46 am

A very good looking site, although I do agree with Russ that (at present) it seems counter intuitive. I think it will take a little while for some of us to get used to where things are. For those of us that use the forum it would be great to be able to go straight into it from the initial page. I would like to thank Paul Auden for all the hard work he has put in to keep this website running and for giving the Gordon Giltrap fans the chance to contact him. I congratulate Sue and Gordon for a very good website with the potential to become a great site. Russ, please stick with it. I'm sure that once it's been running a while the little teething problems will sort themselves out!
Best wishes and good health
Bob

Mlower

Postby Mlower » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:32 am

Russ, please persevere! I have always been interested in what you had to say, and although I have never felt the need to say much myself, I would miss your contribution.
Martin.

Roger

Postby Roger » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:48 am

Russ,

You were really the "guru" on the old guitar forum and I think your expert opinion is essential if the new guitar forum is to be as interesting and useful as the old one. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!

All the best,

Roger

Trevor Raggatt

Navigatin your way around the forum...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Roger wrote:Russ,

You were really the "guru" on the old guitar forum and I think your expert opinion is essential if the new guitar forum is to be as interesting and useful as the old one. PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP!!

All the best,

Roger

Russ,

I'd echo that sentiment too. It would be such a shame to lose your contributions and insights from the discussions.

I don't think it'll take you too long to get used to the new Forum format. The new forum is pretty much the "industry standard" format for forums these days and once you get used to it there are a load of very useful facilities... and not just the funky techie things like being able to put in hyperlinks and imbed pictures etc.

When you log in at the main index page there are indicators showing you which of the forum sections have posts which you haven't read yet - the * will be dark (brown, red? - sorry I'm red-green colourblind!) instead of pale blue. When you go into a forum section the new threads or threads with new posts in are indicated by a little folder and arrow symbol... You have an option of asking the forum to send you an alert e-mail anytime someone posts a new comment in a thread you started. On the main index page you have an option to sort what you see into options like "New Posts Only", "Posts updated since my last visit" etc

All of which actually should make it easier to navigate your way around. One important thing though which may not be initially clear. When you're reading a post/thread. If you want to go back to the main index page there's a link at the bottom of every page... "giltrap.co.uk Forum Index" which will take you back to the front page of the forum. Or if you just want to go back up one level you just click the "<" symbol at the top of the page.

Once you've done that a few times. Once you have browsed around a few times and tried doing a few postings (and experimented with some of the extra functionality which is available) I'll bet that you'll get used to the new forum very quickly and wonder how we ever managed with the old version. Particularly if you take a pragmatic approach to it like Sue suggested in her response. DO perservere because we'd hate to lose your contributions and it really won't take to much effort to get on top of the new ways!

All the best,

Trevor

Sandford_Merlin
Location: Sandford; Mid Devon www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

new website

Postby Sandford_Merlin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi Gordon;

Love the new site. I was wondering if you needed anymore photo's. Rememebr the Sandford concert in February? We had an excellent award winning photographer there. Stone has let me have a look at them; really good shots of you too. Follow this short cut http://www.stonefree.org/galleries/thum ... p?album=15

Also have alook at his briliant website www.stonefree.org

If you would like to use some of these photo's on your site; you may contact Stone via his website.

Hope you like them.

Merlin
www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
There's more to driving; than just knowing where the accelerator is!

Ina

Done very well!

Postby Ina » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi Gordon and Sue,
I really like the new design. It is simply the way life is: something is set up, it works for a while, but then you'll find out time goes one, requirements change and after a while you really need to do something. My oldest website is now 9 years old, it went through some of these changes. To have a technical talk- what forum software do you use? I had to close a forum of mine, as it was really bombed by spammers I could not keep off. This one looks quite safe...

All the best!

Ina

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Ina,

glad you like the new look. :D

I've emailed you the details of the board and exactly what is involved in trying to keep it spam free.

Sue

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:33 pm

Great new website, but the 6Kb limit on avatar size is extremely restricting. Is this likely to increase in the near future?

Many Thanks,

Mick

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:33 am

Hi Mick,

I've increased it to the maximum that the programme will let me, which is 10kb. Thats the best I can do.

Sue

Hobo

Postby Hobo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Sue Admin wrote:Hi Mick,

I've increased it to the maximum that the programme will let me, which is 10kb. Thats the best I can do.

Sue

Many thanks Sue. I will endeavour to conjure up a worthy avatar!

Regards,

Mick

Return to “The Website”