Saturday, September 25, 2010
Cassington Village Hall
The Green Cassington, Oxfordshire OX29 4DN
phone: 07747 621 597 / 01865 884458
Cassington is a small village in Oxfordshire, just to the northwest of Oxford and near the villages of Eynsham and Yarnton. The village is situated to the north of the river Thames near its confluence with the River Evenlode and on the gravel strata of the Thames valley.
Evidence of early settlement has been found including Bronze Age, found during gravel quarrying, Romano-British and Anglo-Saxon. Cassington's name comes from the Anglo-Saxon 'caersentun' meaning 'tun where cress grows'.
Cassington is mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 as Cersetone, along with its hamlets of Worton to the north, and the abandoned Somerford to the south.
The population numbered 710 people, according to the 2001 census. The village contains two village greens, two classic English pubs, the Red Lion and the Chequers Inn, a primary school and St Peters church.
St Peters is a Norman church founded in the 12th century by Geoffrey de Clinton. The church is stone built and is principally Norman. Extensive alterations appear to have been made to the church in the 14th century with the tower being raised two storeys and the present octagonal spire added.
Newly-built and finished to a high specification, the light and airy village hall has a small stage and can seat up to 100 in theatre style or as a banquet, or up to 200 standing.
Please check availability of tickets and confirm date / start times with the organiser before setting out, as sometimes changes are unavoidable - thank you.