Ravens and Lullabies - Summers End Festival - Lydney - 5 Oct

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Re: Ravens and Lullabies - Summers End Festival - Lydney - 5

Postby Roger » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks for that Mike! In some respects Johanne is similar to the Great Paul Thompson of Roxy Music - plenty of power combined with precision and attention to detail :D

alessandro64

Postby alessandro64 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:10 pm

Ah well...THIS is a suitable keyboard!!! (..got my pc back! :) )

Well, as I told before everything's been a thrill!! Before I continue I don't absolutely want to forget all the others involved, starting by Oliver (whom I had the pleasure to know and talk to) goin' thru' Johanne, Nick, Steve and my "strict colleague" Paul (hope he won't misunderstand me..... :-) ), they've ALL been great and stunning!! To think that my first experience listening to Gordon would have been surrounded by such a perfect band was not in my furthest imagination...
The concert has been perfectly balanced, between "rocking" and moments of poetry, I didn't catch every comments and introducing of the songs but I felt that there were sheer sympathy and humour among the musicians, which made the gig more appreciable than ever. The moment I heard the intro of Dodo's Dream I've been cast way back in time when I first listened to Peacock's Party...oh, HOW I love that tune!! It's a crescendo, beat by beat, measure by measure, and Gordon is KING in putting phrases and arrangements that fit together magnificently!
Summer's end Festival should provide (it's an advice, fella!... :-D ) a Heart Attack Emergency Unit. It's what I thought I was in need of as soon as the acoustic gtr rolling intro of "Heartsong" has been followed by the bass notes and then by the fill that once was by that guy known as....Simon Phillips. Oliver made his best to kill me definitely with the moog tune, but I showed myself what a strong surviving structure I've been given..... :-D

"Perilous Journey" in my I-pod has been the travelmate in the flight that was sadly bringing me back home...I have so many files to listen to for my future journeys. You'll see me soon, and never get rid of me!!!

Thanks once again. To everybody! Especially to the fantastic friend who, step by step, introduced me to this incomparable experience. Mrs Sue Holton!

Love to all
Alessandro

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:59 pm

Well, like many I couldn't be there but I have watched Sue's footage from the gig and it looks brilliant! The sound was great, the performance tight, the songs memorable. If there was an album worthy of this treatment then Ravens and Lullabies is surely it. Well done Gordon, that is a triumphal outcome.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 pm

alessandro64 wrote:
Thanks once again. To everybody! Especially to the fantastic friend who, step by step, introduced me to this incomparable experience. Mrs Sue Holton!

Love to all
Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,

it was absolute pleasure to help you, Danila and Piotr get to attend the gig, to introduce you to Gordon and show you a little of the UK over the course of a beautiful sunny weekend. The sheer joy on your faces throughout was wonderful to see.

I hope you come back often, you are truly welcome as part of the group of friends and fans that surround and support Gordon. As I always tell new forum members "we're a friendly lot"

Sue
GG webmaster

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:05 am

A week after...

A week after these great concerts (lucky me to be present on two gigs in two days - thanks to Sue and Mike Holton, who took great care of me and did not leave me in the ancient Roman town of Cirencester :-), I have a feeling that I have not returned fully to the real world yet. Oh yes, I can work, do the shopping etc., but my soul is still in Lydney trying to catch the echo of Ravens and Lullabies and it also flies to Cirencester.

Meeting Sue and Mike for the first time, I had a feeling that I meet old friends! I will be grateful for ever for your encouragement and help - without you it would not be the same (if possible at all). I do hope that Mike and you enjoyed the company of fans from I and PL as much as they enjoyed yours. Thank you for these great days! Danila and Alessandro - you made these days very special.

I have some more thoughts to share:

The idea of playing Ravens and Lullabies live (along with Gordon's classics and Oliver's great songs) was something brilliant: I would love to know who was behind this idea and I would love to express my gratitude for it.

Gordon and Oliver have a gift of bringing together wonderful people both on stage and in the audience. The musicians (that they are clearly great is no secret - just name the bands Arena, Threshold and think of West End musical) created atmosphere full of passion and played a fantastic concert. After the concert it was a shear joy to talk to them.
Let me say it again: On stage there were superb musical talents, God bless them for giving us so much joy! And the fans: what a wonderful group - thank you for such a warm welcome and a truly unforgettable atmosphere you created.

Two years ago, from Gordon's solo concert in St. Ives, I brought back a souvenir: "Here comes the sun", now I have another precious gift from Cirencester: "Roots".

In 2011 Ania, my lovely wife, and I came for Gordon's concert in St. Ives to celebrate our wedding anniversary, this year the trip to the concerts was a present from Ania for my 50th birthday. I do not know how to thank you, my dearest Ania...

Till next time,
Piotr

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:32 pm

piotrwargan wrote:Gordon and Oliver have a gift of bringing together wonderful people both on stage and in the audience.

Hi Piotr and a happy 50th to you :D

I agree with you entirely - I've met so many great people through Gordon and Hilary, and if I haven't met them I've exchanged forum postings and e-mails. Isn't the World of Giltrap a wonderful place :D

Roger

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:55 pm

I know many of you have been waiting patiently for some photos, well here is a gallery of mainly mine with a few from Alessandro and Piotr.

http://www.giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page ... h_Oct_2013

There are 2 pages so be sure to click the small number 2 at the bottom of the first page if you view them without using the slide show which will advance you automatically

I hope to add another gallery from Phil Werninck very shortly

Sue
GG webmaster

alessandro64

Postby alessandro64 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:18 pm

"Oh yes, I can work, do the shopping etc., but my soul is still in Lydney trying to catch the echo of Ravens and Lullabies"

Same as you, dear Piotr....yesterday evening, 8.40 p.m. or so, I posted on my facebook page an "Heartsong" full-band from Top of the Pops...just to re-live those moment, OH, THAT moment!!
That moment, and many more, will be my mantra for the times to come!!

love to everybody and...thanks for the fantastic photos!! :D
Alessandro

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Crazy idea I know, but Bill Nelson (Be-Bop Deluxe, Red Noise) has a fan convention (Nelsonica) every year in the UK. I'm sure that Gordon's workload would not allow it, but wouldn't it be great if we had a similar thing when we could all meet up for a weekend and enjoy a gig too. I know I'm dreaming, but............................ :)

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your wishes :-)

Fantastic idea! Gordon Giltrap fan convention would be a dream come true.

Cheers,
Piotr

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am

Roger wrote:Crazy idea I know, but Bill Nelson (Be-Bop Deluxe, Red Noise) has a fan convention (Nelsonica) every year in the UK. I'm sure that Gordon's workload would not allow it, but wouldn't it be great if we had a similar thing when we could all meet up for a weekend and enjoy a gig too. I know I'm dreaming, but............................ :)

Hi Roger.

There is nothing stopping folk from organising it. Sadly I'm running out of steam but would have done it years ago. Our dear friends in America Lori & Tim Blixt organised something similar quite a while back now and was a great success. I did a concert every night and played folks requests we also had an all day workshop plus loads of other stuff. It was on this holiday where we met folk that would become some of our closest friends namely Sue & Mike Holton and Geoff & Cath Olner. A lovely memory.Be well all.

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:29 am

The rest of the photos from Phil Werninck are now online here in a second gallery:

http://www.giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page ... _Gallery_2

cheers
Sue
GG webmaster

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Oliver Wakeman has now written his report on the recent tour including Lydney and the BJH gigs, you can find it here:

http://www.oliver-wakeman.co.uk/html/stories_ravens13_2.html

Sue
GG webmaster

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”