Young Musician Update

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Bob Wilson

Young Musician Update

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi Gordon
I thought I would send you a quick message to let you know that Ewan has got through to the semi finals of the St Augustine's Young Musician Competition. He played exactly as we had rehearsed with the exception of forgetting to hit record on the bass part :). He kept calm and improvised some nice acoustic guitar while the loop went round again and then put the bass down again, but this time recording it :) He finished it off with all the little extra lead harmonies that the three of us worked out when we visited you. As the final bit faded out you could have heard a pin drop, then a huge applause.
A lot of Students and Parents were asking about the piece afterwards and saying how well thought out the layering is on Dodo and what a clever piece it is. Us Giltrap fans are all aware of this anyway, so I pointed them in the direction of www.giltrap.co.uk and advised them to check it out and keep an eye out for any future developments of the piece :wink:
Ewan will now have two weeks to practice before perfroming the piece again in the semi finals.
Love to Hilary
Be well both
Best wishes
Bob

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Hey Bob.

This is wonderful news, tell Ewan I'm proud of him. That old tune of mine with a 21st century approach is certainly touching a lot of folks lives. As the Duke of Edinburgh once said to me, 'Technology has helped people like you hasn't it'... :D

Be Well our Bob, and a big WELL DONE to Ewan. Fingers crossed for the semi's and of course the final.

G.

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi Gordon
I thought I would message to let you know, unfortunately, Ewan did'nt manage to get to the final of the Young Musician. He played very well and did us proud. He has taken it on the chin in his matter of fact way, but I can't pretend to agree with the decision. I really can't understand how he didn't get through, but the judges decision is final and as they were not guitarists maybe they did not appreciate the intricacies of the piece or the exact timing that is necessary to perform it.
Well, I won't take anything away from the finalists, just offer my sincere condolenses to Ewan on a very good performance that I, and many others, thought was good enough to get him to the final.
Best wishes
Bob

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:54 am

Hi Bob,

ah, what a shame for Ewan, and after all that hard work !

I hope this will spur him on to work even harder rather than dishearten him.

All I can say is that anyone who can play ANY piece of Gordon's music deserves to be a winner in my book !

Sue

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:37 am

Hi Bob.

What can I say? Yes, I'm disappointed for Ewan because we all know how hard he worked but you know, I have been on the panel of judges for similar competitions and there were many who in my book should have won.

Let me give you a prime example of this.

Several years ago a young guitarist friend of mine decided to enter the Guitarist Magazine Acoustic Guitarist of the year competition. I was not on the judging panel because of my friendship with this aforementioned young player. Anyway the upshot of it was that he played brilliantly and in my book the only reason that he didn't win was because his live sound was weak, he decided to just play through a microphone. This of course was just my personal opinion.The guitarist in question? Tristan Seume! Tristan is without a doubt one of THE finest players and composers of his generation.and has gone on to forge a very healthy career as a colomnist for Guitarist Magazine(how ironic) and is a lecturer at A C M in Guildford.

The moral of this story is...competitions don't mean a thing in the long run.

And here's my message to Ewan. EWAN I'M PROUD YOU. You are a fine young player, and if destiny dictates that you will be making your way in this business,and that maybe one day you too will join the ranks of the 'greats' then this competition will fade into insignificance, and people will be saying 'how is it possible that this brilliant young musician didn't win'.

Be Well and continue to enjoy your playing for it's own sake.

Gordon.
Last edited by GORDON on Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J and L

Postby J and L » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 am

Hello Bob,
Message for Ewan.
To volunteer oneself to be judged has to be a difficult task and to do this when you are channeling your feelings and emotions through your musical talent has to be challenging.
We are constantly tested throughout life one way or another, sometimes winning sometimes not and unfortunately will suffer disappointment, but Ewan you haven't lost anything, it is just a learning curve that will bring you to the place that you are destined to be.
Not being able to play an instrument competently myself, it is always heartwarming to hear of young people who can and I am sure that your ability and talent in playing guitar will stand you in good stead in your journey along lifes path. Hopefully, we will ALL be able to listen to you play in the future if this is your dream. In the meantime, I hope that you will continue to play 'The Dodo's Dream' a strong, meaningful and loved piece of music.
Sending you good vibes for your future in life and music.
J.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:39 pm

I've just posted a video of Gordon and Tristan duetting on Rainbow Kites here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr7qKAz9wJg

Sue

Return to “More Music”