Debut!

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Debut!

Postby Russ Gannicott » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:22 am

Well, I've just had a great experience...! I don't wan't to come across as a sycophantic parent, but I'm really proud of my 13 year old. I just sat in on Ash's first rehearsal with his freshly formed first band 'The Blues Machine' and it was pure magic! There is something quite spooky about three 13 year olds getting together and insisting that they are only ever a three piece, as that is the best line-up for playing 'heavy blues'!!! Yep, first rehearsal found them, feeling at first, and then punching their way through 'Sunshine of your love', 'Cocaine', 'Riders on the storm' and Rory Gallagher's 'What's going on' and 'Bullfrog blues'.
I am amazed that they have discovered the value of a 'tradition' at such an early age. OK, they still all have their own passions about weird forms of heavy metal that I don't understand, but they have also chosen to get into a timeless genre of music which will always be 'cool' - it could have been jazz or folk, but blues just seemed a lot sexier to them. God am I jealous! I wish I'd startd that early!
Reckon that Rory Gallagher replica Strat I'm working on might have found it's home!

J and L

More Music

Postby J and L » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:59 am

What an uplifting post Russ and please don't question your proud feelings for your son Ash. It is so heart warming to hear about positive efforts from youngsters and also be able to share your families achievements on this site. I love music in all of its forms and especially 'blues'. Give Ash and his pals gold stars from us and we look forward to further reports on future progress. Go for it 'The Blues Machine'
Bon chance! :D
Jacqui & Larry.

TTToni

Postby TTToni » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Wow, that sounds great!

It's good to hear they're not going to be another post whatever something coreband. I like to go watch unsigned bands and I find that a lot of them sound the same. There's always the odd band that will stand out because they're different, hopefully 'The Blues Machine' (awesome band name btw) will be one of those bands standing out.
Before you know it they'll be up on stage at a local venue...
I suggest setting up a Myspace page for them (if they haven't already), as overrated as Myspace sounds its great for band promotion.

Best of luck to them!
Toni

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi Russ
Its always good to hear of kids forming bands and enjoying playing music. Three 13 year olds playing the blues, well that's magic :) . Don't worry about the heavy metal and weird scale arpeggios they will all come in useful and thats how their individual style will come to the fore. You are obviously doing a good job in supporting Ash and the group and as long as they have that support they can only get better. Good luck to them, let's hope they go from strength to strength and make you even prouder. Toni is right, get them on Myspace once they are ready for promotion and let us know how they progress. (PS.The Rory strat is looking very nice :lol: )
Best wishes
Bob

Russ Gannicott

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Thanks guys! Things are moving along really well and the lads have now got a myspace page up;
www.myspace.com/thebluesmachineuk
No music up there yet but it shouldn't be too long.
Thanks on their behalf for the messages of support!
Russ

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:44 am

Dear Russ.

We are indeed blessed when our children discover the joys of making music, whatever form it takes. Carol and yourself being longstanding friends, have had to deal in the past with Ashley's major hearing problems,and all those operations, which makes this new band of his an outstanding achiement, and I for one am VERY proud of him.

You carry on letting us know how his music develops, as it's very heartwarming to read,and you are as parents justifiably proud to share it with us.

Our love to you all.

Gordon and Hilary.

Return to “More Music”