Matthew Halsall

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Roger

Matthew Halsall

Postby Roger » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Is anyone familiar with the music of the Manchester based trumpeter, composer, arranger and band-leader Matthew Halsall? I've read that he's one of the rising stars of the UK jazz scene and I can believe it after listening to his new album, "Into Forever" - well worth a listen :D

PS I came across his music on Radio 3 - not a station I would usually listen to so I have to thank the dodgy radio in the vehicle I was driving at the time!

Johnty8

Re: Matthew Halsall

Postby Johnty8 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:32 am

Hello Roger,

Matthew Halsall is, as you rightly say, a Manchester based musician who has made an impact on the thriving jazz scene within the UK.

The album Colour Yes is worth a listen if you are drawn to his music as it is a superb example of the creativity of these young jazz artists who frequent the clubs and occasionally the radio studios in ever increasing number.

One of the tracks on this album is called Together and it carries echoes of Starless and Bible Black the remarkable composition that Stan Tracey included in what has become the greatest UK jazz album ever recorded ... Under Milk Wood.

Halsall performs regularly within the UK and should not be too difficult to find if you want to check him out.

Happy listening

John

Roger

Re: Matthew Halsall

Postby Roger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:11 am

Hi John!

Thanks for the information :D

Most of the music that I enjoy is guitar-based, or ambient such as Brian Eno or Tomas Dvorak. By accident I came across Halsall playing a piece of music on Radio 3 - just him on trumpet (not normally my favourite instrument!) and someone (Taz Modi?) on piano. It just seemed to press all of the right buttons for me and made me look further - glad I did :D

Thanks again John,

Roger

Return to “More Music”