The Great Brtish Folk Festival - Skegness, 2012 DAY 1

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

BRC

The Great Brtish Folk Festival - Skegness, 2012 DAY 1

Postby BRC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:16 pm

The Great British Folk Festival at Butlins, Skegness -30 November to 2 December 2012
The easiest way to provide a review, of sorts, is to refer to the link showing clips on YouTube of the acts that performed at the Festival – the following URL is the one you can use http://www.youtube.com/user/SIMMO7TS . Unfortunately for me those clips are inadequate to describe properly the performance or garner the atmosphere so, at the risk of boring, you I have made a review of the performances I was able to attend.

This was my first stay at Butlins, anywhere, and only second visit to Skegness, thus I had no idea what to expect. My involvement in folk music goes back to the early 1960s in various clubs on Merseyside (or Liverpool as we knew it then) and more recently some clubs in Kent. More on that later.

DAY 1 -30 November 2012

Having arrived early Friday afternoon we received the first schedule of appearances in the welcome pack ‘Essential Guide’on signing in. Our friends Sue and Alan did not arrive until nearly 16:00 so making decisions on who to choose to see at the two main theatre venues could not be made instantly. Sue and Alan wanted to see Fake Thackray (spelt ‘Thakray’ in the guide) and we wanted to see The Fureys & Davey Arthur’.Naturally, they were in different venues at different times so we went to save seats for The Fureys with Sue and Alan joining us later.

The first act for us was ‘Oh Susanna’ – I think it best to avoid further comment mon her performance and include Alan’s review of Fake Thackray, immediately below

FAKE THACKRAY

It is 10 years since Jake Thackray died and the legacy of his uniquely crafted songs continues. A number of folk artistes have played and recorded examples of his difficult and considerable canon but John Watterson (Fake Thackray) manages to replicate his music with an eerie accuracy. John's set at Skegness on Friday offered a relaxing, humorous and welcoming opening night to the festival. Jake's singing and especially his phrasing and vocal delivery is remembered as being totally original. John carried this off with admirable skills. It is vital to be able to hear the lyrics in order to appreciate Jake's wickedly sardonic humour and John's voice could be heard clearly throughout enabling the audience to really appreciate the brilliance of the Yorkshire wordsmith. Many of the audience who weren't familiar with “Sister Josephine” were unrestrainedly laughing out loud at the exploits of the convent criminal. His guitar playing showed great skill and while not an exact copy of Jake's classically influenced accompaniment provided an excellent complement to every song. The most pleasing aspect of this set was that John Watterson never tried to copy the mannerisms and haughty stance that Jake made his own. He didn't need to; the interpretation of his songs said it all. The legend lives on!

THE FUREYS & DAVEY ARTHUR (the Fureys for short)

‘Saving seats’ became a major military operation, as having arrived in time for the start of the evening show all seats were occupied and it was standing room only. Well that was until ‘Oh Susanna’ finished her set then a few people left. Leapt in and occupied two seats and reserved two next to them. However as there were other people wanting to sit down gave those up to them – so much for the ‘military operation’.

The Fureys began their set and got an immediate response from the audience, though I suspect most there were fans or knew their music very well. A performance to include ‘Sweet Sixteen’, ‘Steal Away’ and ‘The Leaving of Liverpool’ met with rapturous applause and, maybe, the biggest choir in the world (certainly appreciative) singing along with them.

What a way to start the weekend, properly, than an old style sing-along, session with the Fureys.

Decision time – stay for ‘The Travelling Band’ or go to see ‘Feast of Fiddles’ – the latter won.

FEAST OF FIDDLES

I can’t remember the titles of any of the pieces they played as we were all getting into the festival mood and just ‘going with the flow’. Whatever it was the tunes/songs were performed with consummate professionalism and just caught the spirit. I am now looking forward to ‘Bully Wee’ in January and Ian Cutler’s – one of the ‘fiddlers’ - performances with them.

I just wish I could remember the name of any of their tunes/songs, though suffice to say we all went back to the apartment with a glow of well-being and happiness – before we had a glass or two of wine (especially brought from South West Germany) and ready to face the new day (many hours later).

This first day had taught us a few lessons. First objective, if you want to see a particular act then you need to queue early to ensure you get seats – remembering that quite a good proportion of the attendees to the event are ‘of a certain age’ and more likely to want to sit, rather than stand, throughout the performances. Second objective, get evening meal time over early on so you can achieve first objective. Third sit down, listen and enjoy.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: The Great Brtish Folk Festival - Skegness, 2012 DAY 1

Postby GORDON » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:15 am

Hi BRC.

Wow,what a fantastic overview of the festival.We were sat to one side of the stage during Oyster Band,and had no idea that this ridiculous situation was going on....What a shame!

One of the bands that made a great impression on me were MERRY HELL, who I think you would have enjoyed.Really good songs and a joyful fun filled presentation.I think they will do well.

We welcome further posts from you on this FORUM.

Be well.

G.

Return to “More Music”