Anybody know what strings Jansch used?

This is the place to discuss music-related topics by "other artists". No Gordon Giltrap connections needed. Who have you seen? Who do you like? Who should we know about?

Moderator: GORDON

Seagull27

Anybody know what strings Jansch used?

Postby Seagull27 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi all

This is something I have tried to find out on other forums but with no luck to date. I'm really curious to know....

In one article it said he used Martin light gauge .011-.052 sets and that he didn't like phosphor bronze strings. But then another article says he DID use phosphor bronze.

Anyone know for sure?

Many thanks

Max

(PS - anyone with an LL11 or another LL Yamaha, I'd be interested to hear what strings you favour too....)

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Anybody know what strings Jansch used?

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:14 am

Hi Max.

Bert did indeed use Martin strings but favoured the non phosphorous strings because he preferred their more mellow sound.For some reason Bert's disliked the sound of new strings!

The other interesting thing is,that to my knowledge he didn't have any endorsement deal with a string company and therefore paid for his strings bless him!

I use Martin SP string 11 to 52 sets.

Thanks for your posting sir.

Be Well.

G.

Seagull27

Postby Seagull27 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 am

GORDON wrote:Hi Max.

Hi Gordon!
GORDON wrote:Bert's did indeed use Martin strings but favoured the non phosphorous strings because he preferred their more mellow sound.For some reason Bert's disliked the sound of new strings!

OK, so I'm supposing he used the 80/20s then? Do you know which series exactly?
GORDON wrote:The other interesting thing is,that to my knowledge he didn't have any endorsement deal with a string company and therefore payed for his strings bless him!

From what I have read, seen and come to understand about Jansch, this seems pretty typical. I also loved the fact that he played the same guitar for so many years, and that when Yamaha made him a special one off (for his 60th was it?) he said it was too good to play live!
GORDON wrote:I use Martin SP string 11 to 52 sets.

The fourth one a long on this page?

http://www.martinguitar.com/strings-ser ... ngcategory

Do you use that on all your guitars or just certain ones? And out of interest, have you tried the coated SP's?
GORDON wrote:Thanks for your posting sir.

All the thanks go to you Gordon, for the fast and helpful response... This forum... Your music (which I'm just starting to discover and really enjoy)... Etc etc etc. How down-to-earth and truly marvelous to see someone such as yourself willing to give and share on his own forum!
GORDON wrote:Be Well.

You too....

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:10 am

As yet I haven't tried the coated ones but no doubt will as some point. I use SP's on all my guitars same gauge. Yes, Bert really wasn't an anorak like me,and just regarded guitars as tools.

Thankyou for your kind words re the Forum and everything.

Be well.

G.

Return to “More Music”