Gordon Giltrap Guitar Academy Meeting 7th - 9th April 2017

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Sue
Site Admin

Gordon Giltrap Guitar Academy Meeting 7th - 9th April 2017

Postby Sue » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Founded in 2015, the Gordon Giltrap Guitar Academy is an organization dedicated to the teaching of the acoustic guitar based on the repertoire of the acclaimed British guitarist - Gordon Giltrap.

The Gordon Giltrap Guitar Academy, in association with Vintage® Guitars (of whom Gordon has been a long time endorsee and Signature artist) will take place at selected venues around the UK as a series of 2 and 3 day intensive guitar study courses, concentrating on Gordon’s impressive back catalogue of compositions. “This is a body of work I have built up over fifty years” says Gordon “and I want to share it with people - it’s as simple as that! I find the whole thing incredibly exciting!”

Created with the considerable input of Gordon’s longtime friend, fellow guitarist and Principal Tutor Garry Burnett, the Academy has aligned with the Registry of Guitar Tutors and London College of Music, who will independently verify and grade the pieces selected for study.

The Academy provides personal tuition by its RGT-Registered Academy Tutors and Masterclasses by Gordon himself in a relaxed and friendly environment. The programme offers a graded performance-based approach to developing a guitarists playing skills and repertoire learning to play and perform the music of Gordon Giltrap.

The curriculum comprises solo acoustic guitars pieces drawn from across Gordon's extensive career, which build a playing technique and repertoire of performance pieces second to none.

“These pieces have been offered on the RGT syllabus before,” says Garry “but until now if you wanted to learn a grade 8 piece like ‘Lucky’ or ‘Lucifer’s Cage’ for example there wasn't anyone apart for Gordon you could go to get tuition! Plus, with the legitimacy of the RGT and LCM, participants can get real life-changing qualifications that are recognised by educational bodies and employers, or UCAS points for university entry. We are looking at making the Academy a good teaching and learning model with good practice, clear targets, clear channels of progression and good teaching of a formal education standard.”

The Academy had its first official meeting, in Lichfield close to Gordon’s hometown of Sutton Coldfield, with longtime devotees of Gordon’s making the journey from around the UK to spend time studying and enjoying a very intimate masterclass from the man himself.

The next meeting of the Gordon Giltrap Guitar Academy will be held on the 7th - 9th April 2017 at the Castle Park Arts Centre, Frodsham.

The fee for the weekend is £250.

Updated 1st March: For some reason I had mistakenly quoted a figure of £350. This was in all honesty due to a rather muddled brain which I put down to my recent spell in hospital. The fee will be as before, £250.

I'm delighted to have that superb builder of bespoke electric guitars Michael Gough of MG-Guitars offering his service free of charge to all attendees of my Academy weekend who wish to have their instruments looked over by an expert and "tweaked" to make their beloved guitars play even better.

Check out Michael's website http://www.mg-guitars.co.uk/

There is excellent accommodation nearby at The Old Hall Hotel, Main St, Frodsham, WA6 7AB at very reasonable rates.

The pieces being worked on are:

THE LAST OF ENGLAND.
UNDER THIS BLUE SKY.
DAISY CHAIN.
TEARS OF JOY.
As a challenge piece chief tutor Garry Burnett has suggested FAST APPROACHING

We now have David Mead on board as our special guest for Sunday. David was for many years the editor of Guitarist magazine and is the current assistant editor of Guitar Technical. David wrote the definitive biography of Martin Taylor and has published many books on the guitar.

He's a fine player and composer and has taught for many years. He has interviewed pretty much every major guitar legend known to man. He is also a Fylde guitar devotee and a nice man. It is a delight to have him as our special guest on the afternoon of the 9th

Full details and a programme for the weekend will be available upon registration and payment of a non refundable deposit of £100.

New members are very welcome to attend.

Please visit the Academy website at http://giltrapacademy.org.uk or email Sue Holton at info@giltrapacademy.org.uk for more information and details of this and upcoming events.
GG webmaster

Return to “Gordon's Music”