The rare "Gordon Giltrap Live at the BBC" album...

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Trevor Raggatt

The rare "Gordon Giltrap Live at the BBC" album...

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:22 pm

While I was putting together my personal Giltrap radio show on Spotify I noticed that the "Live at the BBC" album is now available for streaming on the service - albeit mislabelled simply as "Gordon Giltrap - Live in Concert". The album was origianlly released on the "Windsong" label in the early 1990s and contains a selection of BBC In Concert and Old Grey Whistle Test recordings from across the 1970s. However, it's been deleted and unavailable (other than on eBay at inflated prices)for some years now.

There are some interesting tracks on there - in particular "The Passing of a Queen" is a favourite. There's also a rather nice "Classical Giltrap" tune with a string quartet.

Here's the link...

Click the link below to listen to Live In Concert by Gordon Giltrap https://open.spotify.com/album/29bX63GTzD2crj934SyGlY

Roger USA

Re: The rare "Gordon Giltrap Live at the BBC" album...

Postby Roger USA » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Trevor,

Live at the BBC has also been available on iTunes for some time, well I say iTunes, but I am referring to the US iTunes, which for many artists does often cover different album selections from the UK version.

When I just double checked that Live at the BBC was still showing as available over here, I also saw that the limited edition CD "A Taste of Classical Giltrap" is available on our iTunes for the incredible bargain price of $3.99. It was a short CD to raise funds for the Sheffield Philharmonic Orchestra, but it covers some beautiful tracks including the wonderful "Eye of the Wind - Second Movement".

I hope my purchase is going to the right place!

All The Best,

Roger

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Aaaah, turns out I'm way behind the times. I've not looked at what GG has on iTunes in ages... On the basis that I'll have them all on CD anyway...

Had a look in the UK end of the iTunes Store and, lo and behold, there are a load of GG albums that used to be hard to come by, including Live in Concert/Live at the BBC. So cool. It's great that they are available so easily now. Live On A Summer Night is a particular fave. Originally it was published by a label that was an offshoot of the UK's Guitarist magazine. It was out of print for a long time despite a couple of reissues.

And yes, a touch of Classical Giltrap is a great listen, especially the extract from Eye Of The Wind. Maybe one day we could Kickstarter a campaign to get the London Symphony Orchestra to record it... 8)

Roger

Postby Roger » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:06 pm

Trevor/Roger,

Thanks for the brilliant news guys - off to explore now!

Roger :D

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:38 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:Aaaah, turns out I'm way behind the times. I've not looked at what GG has on iTunes in ages... On the basis that I'll have them all on CD anyway...

Had a look in the UK end of the iTunes Store and, lo and behold, there are a load of GG albums that used to be hard to come by, including Live in Concert/Live at the BBC. So cool. It's great that they are available so easily now. Live On A Summer Night is a particular fave. Originally it was published by a label that was an offshoot of the UK's Guitarist magazine. It was out of print for a long time despite a couple of reissues.

And yes, a touch of Classical Giltrap is a great listen, especially the extract from Eye Of The Wind. Maybe one day we could Kickstarter a campaign to get the London Symphony Orchestra to record it... 8)

Hi Trevor,

On A Summers Night has always been one of my favourite albums, it covers some great versions of a number of Gordon''s songs, including one of my favourite versions of Sallie's Song.

All The Best,

Roger

Tom McCauley

Postby Tom McCauley » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:43 am

Trevor Raggatt wrote:While I was putting together my personal Giltrap radio show on Spotify I noticed that the "Live at the BBC" album is now available for streaming on the service - albeit mislabelled simply as "Gordon Giltrap - Live in Concert". The album was origianlly released on the "Windsong" label in the early 1990s and contains a selection of BBC In Concert and Old Grey Whistle Test recordings from across the 1970s. However, it's been deleted and unavailable (other than on eBay at inflated prices)for some years now.

There are some interesting tracks on there - in particular "The Passing of a Queen" is a favourite. There's also a rather nice "Classical Giltrap" tune with a string quartet.

Here's the link...

Click the link below to listen to Live In Concert by Gordon Giltrap https://open.spotify.com/album/29bX63GTzD2crj934SyGlY

Hi Trevor,

I use Spotify too, and have added Gordon's Live in Concert album to my Spotify playlist.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom McCauley

Return to “Gordon's Music”