A Hello & a possible Request

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

DTL87

A Hello & a possible Request

Postby DTL87 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:02 am

Hi there.

I come to your forum with a request, but 1st a little about why i'm here.

My Name is Dean and i come to you from the fair city of Birmingham in the West Midlands.

Ever since i was little i have been a fan of professional motorsport and particularly the programs from (The now defunct) Diamond P Sports.

Now Diamond P Sports used alot of music which i have always liked. I have since traced to alot of what they used back to APM & KPM Music production companies. But also, very recently i have found a couple of tracks they used, particularly in the early to mid 1980's were made by Gordon Giltrap himself.

Here is a link of an example of what i am talking about.

This is a home video Diamond P Sports made in 1984 about NHRA Drag Racing called Decade of Thrills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhoNctLo4gw

If you watch you may notice that...
@ the 40 second mark is Gordan Giltrap - Heroes
@ the 4:22 mark is Gordan Giltrap - Black Lightning

Now is the time i would like to ask for a helping hand.

I have made 2 video compilations of music from Diamond P Sports programming which i would like to know the identity of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFdwcjwzbF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7o1lGmPNu8

Now someone from YouTube sent me a private message letting me know that one of the tracks i have been searching for was indeed Black lightning and that a couple of the others which i have been after sounded like something that Gordon would have made, which is why i am here.

What i would like to ask is this, could Gordon himself or anyone else here please take a look at the 2 compilation videos i have made and tell me if indeed there is something in them was made by Mr Giltrap, what are they called, and where i might be able to purchase them from (I already have Black Lightning on my amazon whishlist) i would be most greatful

Anyway, sorry if this got a little ramble-y or if i posted this sort of thing in the wrong section of the forum.

Thanks for your time and hope to hear from someone soon.

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: A Hello & a possible Request

Postby GORDON » Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 pm

Hello sir.

Well Im sad to say that much of the music SOUNDS like mine but Im afraid it isn't.

Can I just say Thankyou for trying so hard to identify the music in the hope it was mine.

Please return to this site of ours,you are most welcome.

If I have missed something in these clips I apologise.

Can I throw it open to others to view and see if they can throw a light on the music?

Warm Regards.

Gordon.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu May 09, 2013 5:22 pm

I seem to recall that at one time you wrote and recorded some library music Gordon... would those two pieces be in that category?

Reason I ask is that much TV/radio music used as 'beds' during that period would have been from library discs. Main reason is that library music is often issued and charged for use on a different basis to that from commercial recordings that are available for the public to buy.

If that's the case here then it could prove quite tricky to track-down the original artists - and almost impossible to buy said tracks unless they've also been released commercially.

Of course, I could be wrong...
The older I get, the better I used to be

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu May 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I seem to recall that at one time you wrote and recorded some library music Gordon... would those two pieces be in that category?

Reason I ask is that much TV/radio music used as 'beds' during that period would have been from library discs. Main reason is that library music is often issued and charged for use on a different basis to that from commercial recordings that are available for the public to buy.

If that's the case here then it could prove quite tricky to track-down the original artists - and almost impossible to buy said tracks unless they've also been released commercially.

Of course, I could be wrong...

You speak the truth sir,but having listened I couldn't find any of my material,there.

Looking forward to working with you again my friend.

Be well.

G

Trevor Raggatt

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Fri May 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Had a listen too and didn't spot anything which I would have thought was Gordon. Some years ago, I managed to track down one of his KPM library albums - "Soundwaves" (KPM Serial No 1292), clearly a sister album to "Airwaves" (which if memory serves was originally designed to be a library disc before being upgraded to fully fledged GG album).

This project started life as a library album, but was thought strong enough to release commercially. It was first issued on PVK records in 1982, but it was decided because of the cohesive overall feel, to release it as a Gordon Giltrap Band album.

A chum digitised and de-clicked it for me some time back and it now resides proudly on my iPod along with my other GG albums. All the tracks on the library disk are distinctly Giltrapesque with the guitar playing pretty much up front and featured - both acoustic and electric. The sound/production on Soundwaves is very akin to that on Airwaves and will be recognisable to anyone familiar with Brutus (the World Bowls Theme) which features on the album or with the two late 80s/early 90s Holiday/Wish You Were Here themes.

An interesting thing about the track listing is that three tracks (Going For Gold, Machine Man and Get Up And GO) feature in "a" and "b" versions where the arrangements are subtly different. This was presumably to give TV producers the choice of two versions for different settings (e.g. main theme/feature spot and voice over). The other striking thing is that many of the tracks are VERY short - 50 seconds, a minute and a half. There's even one which is only 37s long (Fresh Alive). Obvious reasons... these tracks are meant to do their job in a short period of time. How long is any piece ever played continuously in a TV programme.

There's a bit more info on the album here... http://www.discogs.com/Gordon-Giltrap-Band-Soundwaves/release/3651261

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Trev.

Really appreciate you taking the time out to do this buddy.I don't have this sort of time in my life right now and am grateful to folk like yourself for doing this.

Thanks friend.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Music”