Gordon on BBC Radio 6 Music

This is the place to post items relating to Gordon and his music in a general sense, such as his influences, how he composes, which pieces you enjoy most and why etc.

Moderator: GORDON

Sue
Site Admin

Gordon on BBC Radio 6 Music

Postby Sue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:28 am

We have just found out that an early Gordon Giltrap concert is being aired on BBC Radio 6 Music as part of their Live Music Hour series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jystd

At the moment we don't know which concert it will be, but it will be well worth a listen whichever.

The programme also includes BBC sessions from The Levellers and Cast Of Thousands.

The bad news .... its on at 3am on June 19th. :shock:

The good news ... it should be available later on BBC iPlayer. :wink: I'll add the link to the repeat here after the event.

Thanks to Mad Malc for the info.

Sue
GG webmaster

Roger USA

Re: Gordon on BBC Radio 6 Music

Postby Roger USA » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

That is good news. I have just followed the link in your message to make sure I can listen to BBC Radio 6 Music live over here and everything seems to work, so all being well I will be listening to it live at a rather more convenient time of 10.00 p.m. :D

Thanks for letting us know.

Roger

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Roger,

not sure if iPlayer works outside of the UK so best make sure you listen live,

Sue
GG webmaster

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Sue,

You are right, in my experience iPlayer doesn't work over here or rather infringes distribution/peformance agreements, which is why I was keen to test the live radio link. So, all being well, I will certainly be listening live.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:51 am

The live music hour included an extract from Gordon's concert at the Paris Theatre in 1977. It included Catwalk Blues, Visionary Suite (with Lucifer's Cage) and Guitar Concerto. Excellent performances - there just wasn't enough of it!

Hard to believe that was 35 years ago....

Roger

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks Roger,

looking forward to listening.

Here is the link for BBC iPlayer, available until 4:02AM Tue, 26 Jun 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01jystd/

however at present (Tuesday am ) there is a problem on the website with playing the programme, and it says "try later!" . I have reported it but if you also have a problem please report it too - the more the merrier !!

UPDATE 14.45.... working ok now.

Sue
GG webmaster

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi everyone in Giltrapland,

Just listened to the i-player. A very welcome 'blast from the past'- an absolutely first class performance.

It occurs to me that our slightly more mature musical hero has lost none of the wit, charm and prodigious talent of his younger self.

Keith

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:05 am

I daresay some of you, like me, thought Paris Theatre ??? where's that ?? So, from Wikipedia:

The Paris Theatre (also known as Paris Studios) was a former cinema located in Lower Regent Street, London, which was converted into a theatre by the BBC for radio broadcasts. It was used for several decades by the BBC as the main venue for comedy programmes requiring an audience broadcast on BBC Radios 2 and 4.

The theatre had a capacity of under 400 and a stage roughly one foot off the ground, giving it an intimate feeling required for radio comedy audiences. Shows recorded there included panel game shows such as I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, sitcoms such as Dad's Army and non-audience shows such as The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

In addition to comedy, the BBC recorded performances by musical artists at the Paris Theatre including acts such as T. Rex, AC/DC, The Beatles, David Bowie, Family, Streetwalkers, Jeff Beck, Deep Purple, Slade, Hawkwind, Status Quo, Sad Café (band), Sad Cafe, Dr. Feelgood, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Joni Mitchell, Queen, Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, Simple Minds, The Screaming Blue Messiahs and The Wailers. Some of these performances were recorded as part of the In Concert and Sounds of the Seventies series, in front of live studio audiences and several of these acts have subsequently released tapes of sessions recorded at the studios, such as Led Zeppelin's BBC Sessions album.

The Paris Theatre was closed in 1995, being replaced by the purpose-built BBC Radio Theatre in Broadcasting House. The demise of the Paris Theatre was marked with a commemorative concert and broadcast of the last show ever to be recorded at the theatre, namely the final show in series two of The Skivers.
GG webmaster

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello everyone,
This is just incredible - my favourite, Visionary as a suite performed solo!
And what an explanation before the Catwalk blues ;-)
Superb - thanks for sharing. Can it be downloaded somehow?
Bye, bye
Piotr

Return to “Gordon's Music”