Steven R M Acworth

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Colinw

Steven R M Acworth

Postby Colinw » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:24 am

hello out there.
I've never used a forum before so excuse my naivety
I'm looking to get in touch with Steve, he made me #40 in his Tele run of 47. This was in 1990.
I have some great photos of him and myself in his Yalding workshop, and he's never seen them, so I'd like to put that right.
I've played Teamwood, and he lent me the Brickwall tele, while he made mine.
There's a lot of humour in Steve's guitars, especially if they started out for his own use.
All of them are amazingly crafted with incredible playability.
If anyone out there can put me in touch with him, I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks
Colin.

Curt

Re: Steven R M Acworth

Postby Curt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 am

Hi there Colin.
Curt here, I knew Steve very well and have many of his paintings and guitars.
I am not sure if you knew already, but thought I better let you know that Steve is no longer with us. Please send me a private message if you would like to chat further and I can give you my number. He left us in the last couple of weeks so the funeral is Monday coming if you don't know already and wish to join. If you aren't able to come to the funeral then I would appreciate if you could send over the photos so that I can share with everyone next week.
My old boss Barry Mitchell from Wing Music used to talk about the 'Brick Wall Tele' and remember him mentioning the dripping pipe!
Thanks,
Curt

Joe Townsend

Re: Steven R M Acworth

Postby Joe Townsend » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi Curt,

Just saw this post as I was searching for news of Steve Acworth. He was a hero of mine when I lived in Tunbridge Wells as a teenageer. I bought a bass from him in 1978 which I still play (though my 10-year old now plays it more), as I am a fiddle player these days and work full time in music education. I saved a year's worth of barn dance gig money to pay for it.
The bass has a tone like nothing I have ever heard and has been with me for 40 years. I had the neck looked at 15 years ago and I leant it to my friend who toured with PIL when Wobble left. He used to regale me with stories of working in the rock music business, his guitars were decades ahead of his time and the hand wound pick-up on the bass combined with the crystal pick-ups under the bridge sound like nothing else.

I found his website about 5 years ago and I always thought that I would see him again one day. It's very sad to hear that he passed away I guess there's a lesson in there.

Best wishes

Joe

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”