Strings for V2000MGG

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

ptaverner

Strings for V2000MGG

Postby ptaverner » Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi... I need to replace the strings on my V2000MGG but can't find any reference anywhere to the gauge of strings that came as part of the standard package. As things stand I reckon on shelling out for a set of Wyres GG 11-52s.... but my only clue to suitability / compatibility is the fact that they are both GG signature products - any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks.... Paul

Sue
Site Admin

Re: Strings for V2000MGG

Postby Sue » Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 am

Hi guys,

can anyone help Paul with this please?

many thanks
Sue
GG webmaster

BRC

Postby BRC » Sun May 31, 2015 10:27 am

Paul,

I don't have the V2000MGG but do have the VE2000GG-12 string (for over a year now) and have used D'Addario strings, as were the originals fitted as standard.

I have a Martin Dreadnought style and a Yamaha Jumbo style - both 6 stringers. I have used Elixir on the former and D'Addario on the latter over the last year or so and have to say that the Elixir just have the edge ... and seem to maintain their brightness for a lot longer, not that I am at all displeased with the D'Addario strings.

Over the many years I have tried various brands of strings, including Martin and Gibson, and at this point in life have to say the Elixirs seem the best - not by a long way - and the longevity gives it that edge I mentioned above. However they are more expensive.

I have no experience of the 'Wyre' strings and suspect Gordon will have the best input on that. As I am sure you are well aware, individual preferences and tastes can influence how you hear different strings so it may be just down to 'buy, try and .....'.

I have a mahogany Taylor baritone guitar which was factory fitted with Elixir strings which give a really rich and mellow tone so can assume that the guitar wood and strings compliment each other very well.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, though may stir others in to responding.

Kind regards

Brad

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sun May 31, 2015 6:05 pm

I may have mentioned this before but I usually make up a set for 12 string by using Strings taken from three sets of MARTIN SP 11 to 52.

It's not ideal because you have strings left over but it works for me.

The WYRES GG sets which for reasons I can't go into now are fine, costly but fine,but I recommend the Newtone Heritage sets which are lovely.

The company have just moved to Matlock and their new number is 01629583769.

Ask for Neil and say I sent ya...

Be well.

G

ptaverner

Postby ptaverner » Sun May 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks Brad and Gordon for the advice - your comments are really interesting as it seems that strings and their relative "voices" are quite a subjective and personal thing.

Perhaps I should confess the reason for my urgent need of string replacement: I bought the mahogany top version about three years back and absolutely loved the sound, the feel, the sustain, the everything about it. I got it for just under £200 including the case so a total bargain in my book. I guess it was probably a return because some muppet had made a hash of sticking on the scratch plate - I spent a very anxious 20 minutes peeling it back off again as I hate the things anyway. Apart from this, the guitar was / is as new in every way.

The remarkable sound that smacks you around the ears the first time you hear it I put down to the combination of design and strings - desperate not to upset the delicate balance I've left the same strings on it from then until now. I really, really wanted to know what strings it came with but no joy on that front. So I must confess to string neglect - but they still sounded fine to me despite the creeping corrosion!

Anyhoo - that came to an end last week when one finally gave up the will to play on and went bang.

So... to the new strings: being guitar-less and a rather impatient sort I did shell out for a couple of sets of the WYRES GG. Wasn't too bothered by the cost but the sound is certainly "different". The wire wound strings certainly sing out loud and the sustain on an open string is almost too much. I did find that the plain wires were quite understated in comparison and therefore, to me, the overall sound is a little unbalanced. Not so much that I want to take them off again but enough to make me want to accentuate the top two a bit more... There's also noticeably more fret buzz with the ultra-light gauge of string so I guess a bit of truss rod adjustment is called for.... but now Gordon mentions an alternative and rates them "lovely" as opposed to merely "fine". I think I'm probably going to have to give them a try as well.... and the Elixirs.... Ho-hum!

Thanks again for your suggestions and apologies for the rambling above - but Sue said it was OK to be an Anorak.

Cheers

Paul

BRC

Postby BRC » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Paul,

I was just looking on Amazon to order some Elixir baritone guitar strings and decided to see what I could find on the 'Wyres'. Sadly, very little and the one review there was not impressed due to breakages of two strings.

Not sure if there has been a quality issue but might be worth digging round a bit more. If Gordon says they are 'fine' then that that is a very good recommendation as his wear and tear on strings must be thousands of times more than mine.

Best of luck, though hopefully good judgement rather than luck.

Brad

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”