How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Seagull27

How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

Postby Seagull27 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi all

Another post about my recently acquired Yamaha LL11! I've finally got around to giving it the once over, cleaning it up, and putting some new strings on.

With the strings removed, I thought now would be a good time to photo the frets and fretboard and see how bad the damage is.

From the 7th fret onward they seem in pretty good condition (getting better the nearer you get to the body). The last 4 photos are of the fret 7 onward to show this.

With regard the fretboard itself and the grooves/depressions in the rosewood, it was quite hard to show accurately - which is why I thought I'd take quite a few pics from different angles etc. The wood at fret 2 is the worst.

Any thoughts would be great.

Many thanks

Max

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russ Gannicott

Re: How bad is the damage in these frets and the fretboard?

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:12 am

To be honest, you are really the only one who can answer this question. If it plays OK for you, then ignore the fret wear, if it is causing problems, then get a re-fret. I wouldnt be too worried about the wear to the the rosewood board if I were you as quite a lot of it is likely to be caused by 'brusing' - a condition caused by compression as opposed to loss of wood that occurs on an electric due to string bending. A decent luthier will cure this by soaking the board with water and allowing the grain to swell back to ita original form, rather than removing wood from the board to hone it down before a re-fret.
As far as the work goes: It will a little more costly owing to the bound edge board, so I would budget for between £110 and £140 for the required work if I were you.
Good luck,
Russ.

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”