Mandolins

Here you can discuss details about instruments, equipment and all those other bits that non-musicians won't understand !

Moderator: GORDON

Russ Gannicott

Mandolins

Postby Russ Gannicott » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 pm

OK guys - anyone have any thoughts on the subject of flatback mandolins? I have owned a number of budget mandolins over the years and have never been really happy with any of them. Time has come to look for a new 'family' madolin tha Ash and I can share for both studio and live work. The main criterea has to be 'playability' as it would need to have a pickup and therefor could be 'tweaked' soundwise. Cost is of course the other major consideration - lets say the budget is about £400 for new or secondhand. Any ideas?

Trevor Raggatt

Re: Mandolins

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Of course, ideally you'd want to go for a Fylde... A bit above the price range but you never know... second hand? I'v also been impressed with the mando-family stuff that Moon Guitars have made. Again not sure what the likely costs would be.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 pm

Do check out the Pilgrim range on the JHS website. For less than £300 you can get an astounding instrument ALL solid wood carved top construction.

I know I'm biased, but having used some of their amazing instruments on stage and in the studio for past nearly 3 years,the company continue to astound me with their fantastic value top quality instruments. I currently have the Raymond Burley Santos Martinez classical.The Vintage resonator guitar.Of course I have all the GG models in guitars and my amazing Fret King electric along with a Fret King Squire electric.

Just Google JHS and it will find their website.Type in Mandolins in their search box and up comes the complete range.If I was going to "dabble" with a mandolin without wanting to spend big bucks on a glorious Fylde then that is the way I would go without a doubt.

Good hunting guys.

G

Bob Wilson

Postby Bob Wilson » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Russ
If you are OK paying a little more (£500 +) it would be worth checking out Eastman mandolins.
http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/in ... ers_id=120
Their mid range are excellent vfm
http://www.mandolin.co.uk/galleast.html
Be well
and good luck with the hunt
Bob
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Return to “Guitar Anoraks Forum”