Hi there - first post.....

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

istreatf

Hi there - first post.....

Postby istreatf » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi all - A little about myself – well I live in Eltham, South East London and I am 2 months younger than Gordon himself. I have played guitar very badly since my teens, only taking it up seriously after I left work about 5 years ago when I started taking lessons with an excellent tutor. I now play solo fingerstyle and whatever is needed in a performance group, started up by my guitar tutor, called “High Tension Wires”, and we have played several times at a few restaurants. I have also played at the Greenwich festival and solo in Pubs. I have one of the Vintage signature guitars amongst my collection which I have used on stage, when taking the RGT exams and have had many complimentary comments about it. One of the other members of the group has a 12 string version. I have strong feelings about older people such as myself questioning whether is a good idea to start learning how to play guitar. Incidentally I saw Gordon last week at Charlton House and we had a short chat after he signed his CD for me. I have seen him perform several times and look forward to the next time!
Ian
Ian Streatfield

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Hi there - first post.....

Postby GORDON » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Ian.

Yes, I remember our chat.

I think it's great that anyone takes up an instrument no matter what age, but later in life is admirable in my book.

I hope you enjoyed the concert and THANKYOU for attending.

Be Well.

G

Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm

Ian,

Yours is a great story! I started to try to play guitar again in 2004 when I was 46, so there's hope for me yet :D

All the best,

Roger

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Ian.

I originally made an attempt to play in my teens with the help of "Play in a Day", but did not keep going beyond my teens. After a very active business life that kept other interests to a minimum, I wasn't sure whether it was too late to pursue a desire to learn music and in particular learn to play the guitar. After telling myself that in a few years time I would probably look back on this time and think "if only I had started learning a few year's ago when I was only 53....." I decided to make a real effort, take professional lessons and enjoy stretching my mind in a completely different way. I am so glad I did.

You are obviously some way ahead of me. Well done and welcome to the forum!

Roger

AndrewD

Postby AndrewD » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 am

It's never too late to start...or restart. I am settling back into a practice routine after nearly a 4 year gap owing to work/travel. Having moved in the last couple of months I now have the luxury of a dedicated music room and commuting to work daily instead of weekly. I am teaching my fingers what they need to do again, and my memory how to remember pieces! I hope that in a year or so I may be approaching where I got to previously...

Return to “General Chat”