JIM MARSHALL OBE RIP

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

GORDON
Site Admin

JIM MARSHALL OBE RIP

Postby GORDON » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:13 pm

Hello everyone and HAPPY EASTER.

Here is a link to my tribute to this remarkable man.

http://giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=news&category=01--General_News&display=3103#offset1

Be Well all.

G.

Trevor Raggatt

Re: JIM MARSHALL OBE RIP

Postby Trevor Raggatt » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:28 pm

What a lovely tribute.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:49 pm

For those of you who have already read Gordon's tribute - he has just asked me to add this extra paragraph. It will make you smile so I'll repeat it here for you:

A very little known fact about Jim was that one of his hobbies was making wooden bird tables in his garage. When we arrived at his home, there he was in the garage giving a final coat of paint to the last of three tables he had created. He asked if we had a garden, and if so would we like a bird table. I replied “on one condition”....he had to sign it! Many people have signed JM posters, but not many a signed JM bird table! It stands in our garage as a constant reminder of that special day.

cheers
Sue
GG webmaster

Roger

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Gordon,

Very sad news, but a fine and fitting tribute to JM. As with the great Bert Jansch, what you write at these sad times gives us a fascinating insight into the "real person" rather than how they are portrayed by the media.

Best to you and Hilary,

Roger

RIP Jim Marshall

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks Roger.

I was only thinking today how privileged I am to have known some pretty outstanding people in my life, and to have stood in the shadow of genius such as these people is pretty special.

I'm still recovering from the passing of Bert and Loren in all honesty, and not a day goes by.......

Be Well Both.

G.

Roger

Postby Roger » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:32 pm

There's a nice tribute to Jim Marshall in this months Guitar World magazine (July 2012). It's over nine pages and touches briefly on his early years, but kicks off properly in 1960, when JM opened his first drum shop. There are also photos of the Marshall factory from the late 70s.

Best to all,

Roger

Return to “General Chat”