Jamming in the sixties!

The social chat group. The place for the completely off-topic stuff - general chit-chat, things like that - No music here!

Moderator: GORDON

PeterH

Jamming in the sixties!

Postby PeterH » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi Gordon,
I wonder if you remember our jam sessions in 1967 while I was in digs in Hyde Vale, Greenwich?
I think you were living at your mother's place (Greenwich or Deptford?) and you were in contact with Bill Leader hoping to cut your first LP on Transatlantic.
I was amazed by your unique style and had no doubt you'd succeed and rank with the other great guitarists of the time - including Bert, John and Davey, Sad that they have all passed away at relatively young ages, but their music will endure for many years to come!
I'm still knocking out the odd tune on my Fylde Falstaff, but living in Southern Germany since 1981, I've had no access to folk clubs, nor other guitarists.
However, I'm pleased my eldest son, Chris, has learnt to play guitar "properly" and has posted quite a few instrumentals and songs on YouTube under the alias Lewis D Lancaster. He enjoys all types of music but particularly likes the Jansch-Renbourn stuff.
It would be great to meet up with you again. We'll be on the south coast of England this year from 22nd June til 10th July. Of course, you're welcome to visit us in Germany (near Lake Constance) at any time!
All the best!
Peter

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Jamming in the sixties!

Postby GORDON » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi Peter.

To my eternal shame I don't remember you buddy...shame on me because you remember me,and for that Im very touched my friend.

It was SO long ago but I'm delighted that you are still playing and that your son has the gift.

THANKYOU so much for that lovely posting,I just wish I could remember.

Can you give me a few more clues that might just jog the memory!

Be well.

G.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Sun May 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Gordon!
No problem - I'm sure you've forgotten more people you've played with than you can remember!
I think we only met towards the end of my sojourn in Greenwich, while I was studying at Poplar Tech. (actually their annex at Woolwich Arsenal) during my engineering cadetship with the New Zealand Shipping Co. We used student's union funds to run a folk club called the Kerouac at The Green Man, Blackheath.
I recollect arranging a gig for you at the Londonderry club in Sunderland around 1969, where I was resident guitarist. I suspect you didn't make much out of it, having forked out for the transport from London!
Anyway, I have happy memories of our brief encounters, even though I couldn't copy any of your songs because your style was so complex with plectrum and fingerpicking combined. I believe that's why I was so fascinated with your music. I was more comfortable with Jansch/Renbourn stuff - not to mention the primitive, but compelling, compositions of John Fahey!
All the best - till we meet again! :D

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Mon May 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi Pete.

I was with Stefan Grossman last night at The Early Music Centre in York where he attended the final FOUR PARTS GUITAR concert of of our UK tour.He like you commented on my unusual right hand technique of pick and fingers.I pointed out that it was just pick and ONE finger my little one...he couldn't believe it! I remember the same reaction from John RENBOURN who again thought it was pick and fingers.

My memory is still rubbish from that time.soooory!

Be well buddy.

G.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue May 05, 2015 5:29 am

Ah! Stefan Grossman - another of my heroes from the sixties! Good to hear he's still on the scene.
Like everyone, I'm also very surprised to hear you only use your little finger in addition to the plectrum!
Like most guitarists (I think) For me, the little finger is the only one which is superfluous! :)
No wonder your music is so unique!

All the best!

Peter

Return to “General Chat”