Shipton Bellinger Concert

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Bob Wilson

Shipton Bellinger Concert

Postby Bob Wilson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 am

What a great concert and good to see Gordon and Hilary looking so well.
We arrived early as usual and as we parked I received a phone call from Gordon asking us when we would be arriving at the venue. ‘About 2 minutes! :D ’ This was a special gig for me as I got to pick up my part of Giltrap history (the ‘Dodo’ Variax guitar) from Gordon. The Dodo’s Dream also seems to be a part of my history as I tabbed it for Gordon and recorded a DVD for his ‘Creating the Dream’ booklet and Up-Close video on YouTube. I digress! Gordon played me some of the new pieces that he is doing with Oliver as we talked guitar and alternate tunings (I suggested BAGDAD :D ). That CD is definitely going to be an amazing musical journey. One piece had a great ‘Olympic’ feel which I thought would be amazing played in the background as they showed excerpts from the games (I think it was called ‘Anyone Can Fly’). Take note BBC!
As the hall filled up it was obvious that there were many fans of Gordon and several had travelled some distance to see him. From the beginning of his set he showed that his collaboration with Oliver is giving him a great boost in his playing as well as inspiring brilliant new tunes. His playing was fantastic throughout with a new phrase inserted in ‘Maggie Goes West’ and the amazing ‘Taylor Bird’ played perfectly. There were gasps from the audience when he played ‘Splinter’ and cheers at ‘The Dodo’s Dream’. All introduced with Gordons usual easy going funny anecdotes and history of the pieces. Judging by the people I spoke to in the interval and at the end it won’t be long before he is asked back for another great concert. A great concert in a very nice venue. Thank you Gordon and don’t forget to send that piece into the BBC ASAP :D
Bob and Jane
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Roger

Re: Shipton Bellinger Concert

Postby Roger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 pm

Bob,

Sounds like a pretty good night was had by all :D

We both had a great time when we met you, Jane, Eddie and Serena, Mike, and Trevor and Thea for the first time at Salisbury in 2010 - nice to catch up with the Gannicotts too! Be good to plan something similar again in the not too distant future :D

Best to you both,

Roger & Em x

PS Hope the Variax is signed :D

Bob Wilson

Re: Shipton Bellinger Concert

Postby Bob Wilson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:49 am

It was a really good night, well enjoyed by all who were there. Gordon's playing was spot on and he has a new energy that is great to see.
Trying to meet up at a concert sounds like a good plan Roger, it will be good to catch up. Will have to check the concerts and find a nice midway that we can all make. We see Ed and Serena regularly so no problems arranging with them. I was so excited to get the Variax I completely forgot to get it signed. Once Gordon and I get together talking guitars everything else goes out of the window :D . Must take it with me next time and rectify that.
Be well both
Bob & Jane x
Lives touch and paths cross for a reason - be grateful for these meetings and grow as a person

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”