Hello

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

mike cgp

Hello

Postby mike cgp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks for a great night mate. It was good to meet again and thanks for signing my guitar, your signature sits nicely beside Tommy's!. Hope to catch up again at Swanland. Regards, Mike.

GORDON
Site Admin

CGP

Postby GORDON » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi Mike.

Was wondering what CGP meant?

Best.

G.

mike cgp

Postby mike cgp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Gordon hope you are well. I nicked 'cgp' from Tommy (Emmanuel) you may have noticed he signs the same when you saw my guitar, I asked him what it meant and apparrantly it's 'certified guitar player!' In his case it's because he is a genius, in my case it's because I need certifying!!!. Cheers mate.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 pm

Ahhhh, all is revealed!

Thanks for that my friend.

Best.

G.

Sue
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Thought you might be interested in this:

C.G.P. is an album by Chet Atkins. It was released in 1988 by Columbia Records. The initials in the title refer to the Atkins-coined title "Certified Guitar Player", a moniker he assigned not only to himself but other guitarists he admired and felt contributed to the legacy of guitar playing.

One of the most fascinating aspects of Chet Atkins' musical and cultural legacy is the Certified Guitar Player label. In fact, very few guitar players ever received it. Atkins self-applied the term, of course, and he only bestowed it on other guitar players who he considered the most deserving. By the end of his life, only five guitar players (including Atkins himself) were ever awarded this prestigious, yet lighthearted, honor.

The estate of Chet Atkins that has trademarked the designation has made it clear that there will be no other c.g.p. distinctions awarded.

* John Knowles - Knowles became the group's first member in 1996. This virtuoso guitarist also held a PhD in physics and is a member of the National Thumb Picker's Hall of Fame. He also won a Grammy award and two Emmy awards for his musical prowess.
* Tommy Emmanuel - Australian Tommy Emmanuel is one of the hardest working musicians in the world today. He regularly plays over 300 gigs a year. His style is heavily based in fingerpicking, but it also incorporates other more percussive, psychedelic qualities. He recorded a duet album with Atkins in 1997 called The Day Finger Pickers Took Over the World. This was the last recording Atkins ever made. Emmanuel was awarded the Certified Guitar Player label in 1999.
* Steve Wariner - Steve Wariner is obviously an accomplished guitar player, but his resume reads more like that of an accomplished singer and songwriter than a blistering fingerpicker. Wariner has had ten number one hits on his own and has also written number one songs for artists like Clint Black and Garth Brooks. He also has three Grammy awards to show for his talents.
* Jerry Reed - A true renaissance man, Reed was a session guitarist, songwriter, singer and actor who was involved in many of the most iconic country music projects of the 20th century. He wrote the hit song East Bound and Down for the movie Smokey and the Bandit, in which he also starred. Reed collaborated with Atkins on several records over the years and was fortunate enough to be bestowed with the Certified Guitar Player award by the master himself.

Sue ( in anorak mode !! )
GG webmaster

mike cgp

Postby mike cgp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 am

Well done Sue!! One of the times I met Tommy he was wearing a 'Chet' T shirt and he told me how he lived at Chets house for two years, he thought the world of him and was devastated when he died.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 pm

I met the great Chet Atkins in 1973, and what a wonderfulguy he was a true gent and VERY humble about his playing. I feel VERY privileged to have spent time with this giant of the guitar world.

I feel very fortunate to work with three of the finest guitar players I know. Clive Carroll. Raymond Burley. John Etheridge. All great players and all very self effacing about their abilities. I HATE arrogance in gifted people. We must all be gratefull for what ever talents and gifts nature bestows on us no matter how great or small.

Be Well all.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”