Lichfield Guildhall - 18 / 07 /2017

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Lichfield Guildhall - 18 / 07 /2017

Postby keithmeredith » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:25 am

Guildhall, Lichfield - 18 / 07 / 2017

“You have managed to create something magnificent in ‘The Last of England’”, said I to the modest and shy Paul Ward after the launch concert for the vinyl version of this outstanding album. He replied that performing live was easy after his warm up man (GG) had mellowed the audience.

July 18th, a ‘school night’, saw my Beloved and I making a mad after work dash to support Gordon and Paul. The famed Ladies of Lichfield came into view as we approached the city, and we arrived with time to spare.

The main paneled hall of the historic grade 2 listed Guildhall is magnificent – with high pitched timber beams that create a medieval style in contrast to the Gothic frontage to the building. The room was bedecked with heraldic flags demonstrating its importance as a municipal location.

Gordon’s family and friends were in abundance. Fiona and I had been thwarted a number of times recently missing concerts – so we made up for it this evening, reacquainting ourselves with fellow enthusiasts from Giltrapland. Of note were Malc and Kaz doing sterling service in the merchandize department; and it was a particular pleasure to see Mike Stranks – not twiddling the knobs on the sound desk this time – after a hiatus of about eighteen months.

Mike introduced us to the most charming Carrie Martin, who is touring extensively with Gordon at the moment, and it struck me how Tardis like she is – in that such a compendium of talent is contained within a compact package.

The Troubadour took to the stage solo for the opening set – the aforementioned warm up act – and presented a cornucopia of classic Giltrap. From the opening Shining Morn, through Issabella’s Wedding, Camber Sands, Five Dollar Guitar etc., Gordon appeared relaxed, fit and at the top of his game – his strength and vigor thankfully resuming.

An unassuming Paul Ward accompanied Gordon to the stage post interval – and we were indulged with pieces featured on the album, “The Last of England”. This most magnificent of musical works has been widely critically acclaimed – and rightly so. The keyboard skills of Mr. Ward raised the bar considerably, creating orchestral accompaniments that complimented Gordon’s wonderful acoustic guitar – and the room was filled with haunting and evocative melodies.

A traditional finish to a Giltrap concert - consisting of Heartsong and Lucifer’s Cage - was extended when a frenzied audience demanded more.

I sincerely hope that this collaboration between Gordon and Paul is as successful commercially as it is artistically, and that we are blessed with further co-productions from them in future. I am not sure, however, that the threatened compilation of reworked heavy metal classics entitled “Blood on the Shoulders” is quite the way to go.

Roger USA

Re: Lichfield Guildhall - 18 / 07 /2017

Postby Roger USA » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm

That's a great review Keith - thanks! As I think I may have said before, your reviews are the next best thing to being there.

All the best to you Fiona.

Roger

piotrwargan

Re: Lichfield Guildhall - 18 / 07 /2017

Postby piotrwargan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Keith,

Thank you for posting this great review.

All the best,

Piotr

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”