Mitchell Centre - 17 / 7 / 2016

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Mitchell Centre - 17 / 7 / 2016

Postby keithmeredith » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Sunday 17th July 2016 – the weather was perfect – just as it was exactly 34 years previously when my beloved Smiling One and I had shared our nuptials before a congregation of family and friends. Our celebratory weekend was to conclude with our support of a certain guitarist of our acquaintance at a charity gig raising funds for the Teenage Cancer Trust.

My last commentary on Gordon’s concert at All Hallows church, Gedling concluded with my anticipation that the Giltrap Chronicles would continue after the hiatus caused by Gordon’s ill health.

It gives me immense pleasure to report that The Legend has returned – with a headline session at the gig held at the Mitchell Centre in Gordon’s adopted domain: Sutton Coldfield.

Our Troubadour appeared bright, alert and trim – despite only a short and unfinished convalescence from major surgery, and – sustained by family, friends and partisan fans – produced almost an hour of classic Giltrap.

The outdoors venue and troublesome sound system (my Lord Stranks we needed you) were not necessarily conducive to the more intimate GG style – and I’m not so sure that some of the audience appreciated in whose presence they were in – but the musical magic was not diffused – the flame continues to burn.

Hippocrates – the Greek physician and father of modern medicine – opined that natural forces within us are true healers of disease. I can testify that – although Gordon appeared a little fatigued towards his finale (Lucifer’s Cage) – there was a twinkle in his eyes that told that his wonderful music was his inner strength that would sustain and nourish his recovery.

Roger

Re: Mitchell Centre - 17 / 7 / 2016

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Keith,

Thanks for sharing the experience with us. We both very much regret not being present to support Gordon and Hilary, but our circumstances are stretching us both a bit at the moment. Would have loved to have been there.

Roger & Em x

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:32 am

Keith,
Many thanks for the recount. It is so good to hear such news.
As for Lucifer's Cage, it is full of power that helps in hard times. Just yesterday I watched on DVD the play "King's Arthur's Knights" (1981), where Lucifer's Cage accompanies very important scenes and shivers were going down my spine for a long time.
Looking forward to reading your next review :-).
All the best,
Piotr

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:00 am

Hi Keith,

As always it's a pleasure to read your concert review, although this time it's a particular pleasure to hear that Gordon did so well. I can't believe he ended up playing for an hour and finished with Lucifer's Cage! That's not exactly easing your way back gently?

Great news.

All The Best,

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”