Royston Folk Club - 27 / 6 /2014

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Royston Folk Club - 27 / 6 /2014

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:45 pm

The Shipping Forecast uses the words “precipitation within sight” to describe the meteorological onslaught experienced on my journey to Royston Folk Club – good thing I was in a metal box instead of trundling down on my trusty iron horse. A road closure and diversion added to the adventure, and I arrived uncharacteristically late to find support duo ‘Carrick’ in the course of their set.

The versatile, multi-instrumentalists Caroline and Rick (hence the name geddit?) performed a mixture of covers and original self penned compositions and received well deserved approbation for their talent. I was particularly taken with their tunes “Finger of Blame” and “Sliding Door” and look forward to the release of their album. (www.carrickmusic.co.uk)

After a short break, Gordon Giltrap took to the stage and so returned to the folk club roots of his early career where he served his apprenticeship in the music profession. An appreciative and knowledgeable audience enthusiastically received him from the start – a frissom of energy transmitting to the Troubadour encouraging and feeding his performance.

This informed and intelligent group realized quicker than most that the ‘brand new piece’ introduced to them was “Here Comes the Sun”.

Gordon graciously acknowledged the presence among those gathered of Ethan, perhaps the biggest Giltrap fan, who had travelled with his father Roger from the former colonies across the Atlantic. Earlier Ethan had been observed yawning – but by the interval he was, quite literally, bouncing with energy

Other favorite tunes included: Shining Morn, Appalachian Dreaming, Dublin Day, Angie, and a perfect Dodo. During this first set finale, Gordon’s facial expression changed from one of some trepidation at the start; to a huge grin about three quarters of the way through when he realized that he was over the worst and there was little else that could go awry.

Second half highlights were: Anyone Can Fly, Roots, Under This Blue Sky (for Ethan), Tailorbird, and a flawless Fiona’s Smile (G. later confided that he thinks he has cracked the playing of this piece.)

The ever-popular Heartsong followed by an encore of Lucifer’s Cage brought a marvelous evening’s music to its conclusion with rapturous applause.

I have often opined that a gig is made extra special by the people you meet and with whom you enjoy it. Continuing this theme it was a pleasure for me to meet and chat with Roger USA and his family: like wise Jason (Hilary’s nephew) and Debbie. Finally, although we didn’t meet on the night, I trust that thepapercutgirl from this forum enjoyed the night as much as I.

Roger USA

Re: Royston Folk Club - 27 / 6 /2014

Postby Roger USA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:49 am

An excellent review as ever Keith, which sums up the evening perfectly.

We had travelled down to Royston from Lincoln earlier in the day and had spent much of the afternoon at the Duxford Imperial War Museum. The afternoon's activities, combined with traces of jet lag and the discovery that Gordon's set was not due to start until 9.00 p.m. made me doubt 6 years old Ethan's ability to see out the whole concert, but he stayed with it until the end and really appreciated Gordon playing Under This Blue Sky for him. It was great to feel Ethan squeeze my arm when the first few notes of some of his (many) favorite tunes started.

We saw all of Carrick's support act, which I enjoyed (they had sold out of CDs before I could buy one), although Ethan did lean across to me halfway through and ask "When is Gordon coming?"

We all thought it was an excellent concert where Gordon seemed very relaxed and happy playing a wonderful set of songs in front of an engaged and appreciative audience.

It was also really good to get to speak to Keith and Hillary.

Gordon will be pleased to know that he is at the top of a list that includes Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral and the Roman Baths as Ethan's wonders of Britain from this trip.

All The Best,

Roger & Ethan

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Royston Folk Club - 27 / 6 /2014

Postby GORDON » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:41 am

It was great to see you at the concert Roger,and of course Im delighted that Ethan enjoyed it so much.

What an outstanding boy you have there, and not just because he likes the old boys music.

Enjoy the rest of your stay and thank Ethan for staying up so late for me.

Be well and safe travels.

G.

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”