Fenny Stratford - 17 / 5 / 2014

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Fenny Stratford - 17 / 5 / 2014

Postby keithmeredith » Wed May 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Saturday had been a day of brilliant sunshine; I was with my beloved, and she had said that I was allowed out to play on my bike tomorrow as I had been such a good boy and worked so hard in the garden. To make this day complete we were on our way to see a solo performance by a certain guitarist of our acquaintance.

Fenny Stratford is a small town long ago swallowed up by Milton Keynes’s urban sprawl. A claim to fame is that, in 1890, the first successful heavy oil engine was invented and built in the workshop of one Herbert Ackroyd Stuart – the precursor to what is more commonly known as the diesel engine. It is argued that these engines could have been known as ‘Ackroyds’ if Rudolf Diesel had been less paranoid about giving other inventors due credit.

St.Martin’s church is older than it looks. The original building dates from 1730, but the church has been extended and enlarged and much of the current fabric is of the Victorian era – albeit in the Gothic style. Decorative brickworks abound the interior – the use of different coloured bricks producing pleasant patterns and designs – and the family arms of benefactors emblazon the ceiling.
Seating had been arranged in the church ‘cabaret style’ which enabled the seventy or so present to partake of the delicious buffet that had been provided as an appetizer to the evening’s entertainment.

Gordon appeared unannounced and, commencing his set with the meteorologically appropriate Here Comes The Sun, proceeded to entertain in the Giltrap manner with old and new favourites from his extensive repertoire.

Eventually the audience realised in whose great presence they were, and warmed to the Troubadours wit and charm – and came to appreciate the prestigious abilities demonstrated by his talented digits. Two ladies seated left and front even encouraged Gordon to reprise his singing career.

Of particular interest was an acoustic version of Anyone Can Fly from Ravens & Lullabies – it confused us briefly until we recognised the piece. Perhaps song sheets should be provided so the audience can all sing along???

Other highlights included: Appalachian Dreaming on the car boot guitar; Angie; the beautiful Loren; Wherever there is Beauty; a note perfect Fiona’s Smile and a flawless Dodo. All lead to a fantastic finale of Heartsong with an encore of the fast and frantic Lucifer’s Cage (which Fiona’s electronic notebook recorded as Lucifer’s Café – hooray for technology).

Before the show, Gordon had described himself as being very tired (not the exact words he used) but his performance certainly did not betray his fatigue. On the contrary, the music was well up to the usual very high standards. The energy and passion exhibited - in the final two pieces especially - prepared us well for our combat with Milton Keynes’s roundabouts on the journey home.

Roger

Re: Fenny Stratford - 17 / 5 / 2014

Postby Roger » Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi Keith,

We really wanted to get to this gig, but never mind - a KM review comes a close second!

Best to you both,

Roger

PS Two more weeks off work for me :(, but I am on the mend I think!

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm

A great review as usual Keith, with a little bit of local history thrown in which I always enjoy. I lived quite close to Fenny Stratford for about three years when I was at Wavendon and then Husborne Crawley.

I makes me really look forward to Royston next month!

All the Best,

Roger

keithmeredith

Postby keithmeredith » Thu May 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi Roger,

By extraordinary coincidence I have just retuned from Woburn Safari Park - the coach entrance for which is in Husborne Crawley. Spooky or what?

I am planning to attend the Royston gig myself. Are you to be accompanied by Ethan or your other half? See you there.

Keith

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Tue May 27, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I have just returned from a extended Memorial Day weekend at the Outer Banks on the NC coast.

I will be attending with Ethan, my brother and his wife. Unfortunately my other half will be working between here and Charleston South Carolina while we are in England. She's a busy woman, but I will get her to a Gordon concert soon!

Ethan was hoping Gordon would be performing in a church again, but I comforted him with the knowledge that at least Royston in late June will almost certainly be warmer than Gedling last May.

See you in Royston!

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”