4Parts Guitar - Worcester - 15 /3 /2014

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

4Parts Guitar - Worcester - 15 /3 /2014

Postby keithmeredith » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:44 am

The foyer of the ecclesiastical Huntingdon Hall was deserted, and I feared that my gentle trundle to the fair city of Worcester had been in vain – had I got the wrong night? When I heard a few notes of a familiar tune I was encouraged: and when I peeped around the door of the empty auditorium and espied Mr. Clive Carroll on stage and was greeted with a “Hi, thanks for coming”, my fears evaporated. Four Parts Guitar were on.

Having exchanged greetings with Gordon, John, Ray and Hilary in the green room, I deposited my coat on my seat and returned to the foyer to await the start of proceedings. I was shortly joined by Sue Webster and her other half Dean - and while Sue went off to attend to the things that agents attend to, Dean and I happily discussed life, the universe and motorbikes until the performance was about to commence. I now had to engage in close combat through a sell out audience to return to my seat.

Although the recipe for the 4Parts musical feast remains constant, to keep the show fresh and this reviewer on his mettle, the order of mixing the ingredients has changed.

It therefore fell to Clive to provide the appetizer for the evening with his haunting piece, Oregon – with a chaser of what was described as a ‘work in progress’ entitled Guadalupe. Mr.Etheridge followed adding spice to the mix with two jazz orientated concoctions played in his own laid back style.

In a surprise move (to me anyhow), Mr. Maestro Burley and The Troubadour took to the stage together – Double Vision had arrived. Ray and Gordon presented four confections from G’s back catalogue – each given a little extra zest by being arranged and accompanied by Lord Burley. My notebook says Tears, Daisy, Racer and River – interpret that for yourselves.

So we now had all our ingredients. Following the interval, with all four performers together, they were to be stirred and blended into an increasingly complex concoction.

Highlights included John and Clive grinning manically at each other whilst playing Django Reinhardt’s ‘Swing 42’ with aplomb. A more mellow composition by Guismonte (sorry can’t make out the title from my notes – but a water tower seems to be involved) played by Ray and Clive calmed the mood: and the jolly Tailorbird from Gordon and Ray made me smile (it just does O.K.). All this and more led up to the final offering of our sumptuous feast – a frankly stunning rendition of A Dublin Day, arranged by Raymond for the whole company.

The encore presentation of Dodo’s Dream – again involving all four – was the icing on a very rich cake and I believe that all the guests travelled home with their auditory taste buds (if that makes sense) satiated.

The collaboration of these four exalted individuals leaves audiences both stunned by their mastery of their instruments, and delighted and bewitched by their evident love of music. Each of this fantastic four contributes an independent magic to the overall recipe – delicious.

P.S. Apologies for my tardiness in presenting this review. The Bangles sang of a Manic Monday - mine has lasted until 2030hrs on Friday. Still, must work while the work is there. Keith

Roger USA

Re: 4Parts Guitar - Worcester - 15 /3 /2014

Postby Roger USA » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Another great review Keith and another wonderful venue. It was your first concert for about five weeks - you must have been getting withdrawal symptoms!

It would be special to catch the "Fantastic Four" in concert some time.

All the best to you and Fiona.

Roger

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:08 pm

keithmeredith wrote:The foyer of the ecclesiastical Huntingdon Hall was deserted, and I feared that my gentle trundle to the fair city of Worcester had been in vain – had I got the wrong night? When I heard a few notes of a familiar tune I was encouraged: and when I peeped around the door of the empty auditorium and espied Mr. Clive Carroll on stage and was greeted with a “Hi, thanks for coming”, my fears evaporated. Four Parts Guitar were on.

Having exchanged greetings with Gordon, John, Ray and Hilary in the green room, I deposited my coat on my seat and returned to the foyer to await the start of proceedings. I was shortly joined by Sue Webster and her other half Dean - and while Sue went off to attend to the things that agents attend to, Dean and I happily discussed life, the universe and motorbikes until the performance was about to commence. I now had to engage in close combat through a sell out audience to return to my seat.

Although the recipe for the 4Parts musical feast remains constant, to keep the show fresh and this reviewer on his mettle, the order of mixing the ingredients has changed.

It therefore fell to Clive to provide the appetizer for the evening with his haunting piece, Oregon – with a chaser of what was described as a ‘work in progress’ entitled Guadalupe. Mr.Etheridge followed adding spice to the mix with two jazz orientated concoctions played in his own laid back style.

In a surprise move (to me anyhow), Mr. Maestro Burley and The Troubadour took to the stage together – Double Vision had arrived. Ray and Gordon presented four confections from G’s back catalogue – each given a little extra zest by being arranged and accompanied by Lord Burley. My notebook says Tears, Daisy, Racer and River – interpret that for yourselves.

So we now had all our ingredients. Following the interval, with all four performers together, they were to be stirred and blended into an increasingly complex concoction.

Highlights included John and Clive grinning manically at each other whilst playing Django Reinhardt’s ‘Swing 42’ with aplomb. A more mellow composition by Guismonte (sorry can’t make out the title from my notes – but a water tower seems to be involved) played by Ray and Clive calmed the mood: and the jolly Tailorbird from Gordon and Ray made me smile (it just does O.K.). All this and more led up to the final offering of our sumptuous feast – a frankly stunning rendition of A Dublin Day, arranged by Raymond for the whole company.

The encore presentation of Dodo’s Dream – again involving all four – was the icing on a very rich cake and I believe that all the guests travelled home with their auditory taste buds (if that makes sense) satiated.

The collaboration of these four exalted individuals leaves audiences both stunned by their mastery of their instruments, and delighted and bewitched by their evident love of music. Each of this fantastic four contributes an independent magic to the overall recipe – delicious.

P.S. Apologies for my tardiness in presenting this review. The Bangles sang of a Manic Monday - mine has lasted until 2030hrs on Friday. Still, must work while the work is there. Keith

Hi Keith.

I personally thought it was one of our best,relaxed and great fun,and you obviously by your superb review shared in my sentiments.ALWAYS great to see you.

Roger

Postby Roger » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:14 pm

Keith,

All I can say is that the next best thing to being at a gig is reading one of your reviews!

Roger :D

piotrwargan

Postby piotrwargan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 am

Hello :-)
I can only second what Roger has written!
All the best,
Piotr

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”