Brook Theatre, Chatham - 17 October 2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

BRC

Brook Theatre, Chatham - 17 October 2013

Postby BRC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:53 am

:D
I am sitting here, fingers poised over the keyboard (typing rather than musical keyboard) wondering 'how should I review last night's concert/gig?'.

Should I say how superb it was to hear Gordon's latest incarnation of 'The Dodo's Dream'? Of course I should, and add that I always find something new/different in each performance of this, despite having several different recorded versions - and never disappointed in that.

How much did I enjoy Oliver's 'Lutey and the Mermaid'? Superb.

Should I refer to the highlight of the show, when Gordon's enthusiastic playing broke a guitar string? That is the first time I have seen that happen in all the years I have seen Gordon play. I am only kidding that it was a highlight, but still impressive that it did not phase him in the least and kept on playing right to the end of the piece. Are you sure you needed that string anyway?

Perhaps I should pay great respect to the performance of 'Heartsong' on which Gordon, on guitar, was joined by Oliver on keyboards. What an excellent performance and now I shall have to listen to the original version on 'Perilous Journey' to make an aural comparison as I thought that live performance was as close as possible to that recording.

Should I refer specifically to ..............? No, because I believe the best way to appreciate Gordon and Oliver in concert (or is it a gig?) is to go along to see and hear them. Wallow in the supreme music, watch the performance and enjoy the humour as Gordon and Oliver bounce verbally off each other; musically, superbly entwined.

As I sat, watched and listened to last night's show my thoughts were on how to describe the performance. My view is that here are two musicians who enjoy playing the music, though they must have played it hundreds or thousands of times before, and share each note with each other as well as with the audience.

So, having rambled on, the simplest way of reviewing the 'gig' is to say thank you to both of you for an excellent and engaging performance that, I am sure, left everyone there with a warm and lasting glow.

Brad

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”