Watlington - 6/7/2013 - Double Vision.

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Watlington - 6/7/2013 - Double Vision.

Postby keithmeredith » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

It is difficult to comprehend that it has been some four years since I visited Ickneild Community College in Watlington to see Gordon play. If memory serves a certain Mr.Burley R. was in the audience that night and it happened to be our first meeting.

On this occasion my musical heroes had been teamed to entertain as Double Vision by organizer Leigh Greenham, who greeted me on arrival following a glorious ride down in perfect conditions. Leigh and his other half, Kaz, demonstrated amazing powers of memory not only in remembering my last visit but also what I was wearing on that occasion. Once seen never forgotten perhaps? Not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing…………

At a DV gig I particularly enjoy hearing familiar pieces – many not heard live for some time – with that something extra. Whether it be a novel counter melody or a different pleasing arrangement, the music seems more rounded: more substantial - and brings a fresh slant to the whole.

Both Gordon and Ray were on fine form giving us a very tight performance – to use Leigh’s expression. Among more rarely heard pieces were The Racer, Daisy Chain, Under This Blue Sky (appropriately), The Picnic, the smile inducing Tailor Bird (don’t know why it just makes me happy) and my favorite DV version of Heartsong.

Throughout I sat with two stylish and elegant ladies, namely Hilary and Sian, and discovered that with many pieces of music, the secret is not to start too fast. There is a potential catchphrase there, Gordon.

The evening progressed in a slightly different manner in that, following an interval, each player presented a solo piece prior to the drawing of the raffle. Ray gave us some Bach arranged for guitar and helicopter – while Gordon, musing on a title for a new piece, was rendered speechless for a few seconds by the suggestion that it should be called Pre-Raffle-ite (geddit?). The further rendition of Dodo’s Dream filled the hall with sound to good effect.

Gordon and Ray perform rarely as Double Vision. I was somewhat taken aback when Ray told me there just wasn’t the interest. What??????? When two of the finest individual musicians on the planet unite to entertain us it should be front-page news. I feel honoured and privileged to have witnessed them together.

Roger USA

Re: Watlington - 6/7/2013 - Double Vision.

Postby Roger USA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Sounds like a good concert. Your third GG gig in less than two months!

I would love to get to a Double Vision performance, but the rare performance dates have never coincided with a visit. The Double Vision DVD was Ethan's original introduction to Gordon's music and when he was small, family members would make sure they had some Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs and a copy of Double Vision for his visits.

Hopefully I will get to see the two masters perform together at some point.

All the best,

Roger
Last edited by Roger USA on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger

Re: Watlington - 6/7/2013 - Double Vision.

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:56 am

Keith,

As always a very interesting and enjoyable review :D

It seems a bit crazy that there isn't more demand for Double Vision - guess we can only hope that this changes for the better in the future.

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”