Gedling - 24 / 5 /2013

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

keithmeredith

Gedling - 24 / 5 /2013

Postby keithmeredith » Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 pm

All Hallows Church, Gedling - striking, imposing and magnificent – and the place to be to enjoy a return musical visit by one G.Giltrap. As a result of his commitments with the young Mr. Wakeman, it was also the first time we had seen Gordon perform solo for some time.

The first people we saw on arrival were Hilary – perambulating with some difficulty on crutches: her injured foot heavily bandaged as a result of an encounter with a malign piano stool – and that grand wizard of the twiddly knobs, Sir Michael Stranks OBE (that’s Oracle of Broadcasting Excellence) – who was to carry out sound desk duties.

Amongst the two hundred (why can’t some commercial venues achieve this level of attendance?) or so congregation gathered were two very special visitors – Roger and his son, Ethan – who had journeyed from North Carolina in the former Colonies to see Gordon play. Fiona was quite amused and touched to learn that Ethan had also wanted to see the Smiling One for whom Fiona’s Smile was composed.

Indeed it was Ethan who pre concert had supplied a long list of favorite pieces -and the event proceeded at a frenetic pace to get as many into the playlist as possible. The other reason was to keep the blood circulating through the Troubadour’s talented digits – it was on the parky side even with the heating functioning.

Ethan’s choices resulted in our hearing some established Giltrap classics that we had not heard live in a while. The list included: Isabella’s Wedding, The Lord’s Seat, Rachel’s Reflections and on a Dublin Day we had a Picnic with Angie. A rendition of the frantic piece Splinter was appreciated – as was a seasonal outing for A Christmas Carol.

An admission – I was taken in by Gordon’s announcement of a new piece, as yet untitled. Did I feel a chump when I realized from the first bar that it was Here Comes the Sun?

Although initially a little reserved and reticent, the audience eventually warmed to the charm, wit and display of prodigious musical talent that forms a signature part of a Gordon Giltrap experience. By the time of the encore - Lucifer’s Cage turned up to eleven by Mike – all present were quite rightly more forthcoming with their appreciation.

Back in October 2008, Paul Fenz and his wife Lin attended a Giltrap gig in the village of Steeple Aston, near Banbury. He made a round trip of some 2700 miles from the west coast of Finland to be there. It would appear that Roger and Ethan’s journey from the U.S.A – covering about 3500 miles one-way creates a new record for the furthest distance travelled to see the Troubadour play. Unless, of course, you know otherwise………………………………………………

GORDON
Site Admin

Re: Gedling - 24 / 5 /2013

Postby GORDON » Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 am

Superbly written as ever Keith. Great to see you the following night at Darley Dale....a tad warmer there I'm pleased to say.

Best to you Both.

G.

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm

There isn't much I can add by way of a concert review to Keith's excellent piece, but I would like to say a big thank you to everyone we met on the night for making us feel so welcome.

Ethan and I travelled over to the Gedling concert with my brother (now his third concert in just over 12 months) and his wife (her first live Gordon Giltrap experience). From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and it was great to meet Mike, Keith and Fiona in addition to Gordon.

It was Ethan's first experience of meeting someone he had only previously seen on a DVD or You Tube video, or heard on my CDs/iPod. Two and a half chilly hours flew by and I was surprised how well a five year-old maintained his concentration throughout. It was helped in no small part by Gordon's brilliant live performances being so consistent with everything that Ethan had seen or heard before.

As Keith mentioned, Ethan was also very impressed to meet the Fiona and had been telling everyone before we left the US that he was going to meet Gordon and Fiona.

An added bonus was the time that Mike spent with Ethan showing him Gordon's stage set up and sound desk at the rear of the church. Such a long way from home Ethan usually likes to stay pretty close to me, but during the interval I was surprised to turn round and see Ethan dashing off to the back of the church with Mike to explore what went on there.

The next day Ethan was showing relatives the Sound Techniques DVD and playing favorite tracks to all who would listen. I now have an aunt who was very impressed and wants to come to the next concert we attend. She wanted a CD and I have just ordered a copy of Troubadour to be sent to her.

We have some great photographs and Ethan's autographed history of All Hallows Church and signed poster have already been carefully packed to ensure that they survive the journey back to North Carolina!

The only disappointment for me was not being able to juggle family commitments well enough to make use of the four tickets I had bought for the Darley Dale Ravens and Lullabies concert the next day. Upon hearing this my wife Shannon back in the US suggested that we might be able to make a special trip in November to celebrate my birthday!

There are some good venues in November. I lived a large part of my adult life around Bristol and Bath and it is always a beautiful part of the country to visit. There again for my last two years before I moved to the US I lived just around the corner from The Stables in Wavendon and I always liked the venue, so if it comes off I will be spoilt for choice!

Thanks again to everyone for a night to remember for both of us and I look forward to the next one.

Roger & Ethan

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed May 29, 2013 7:51 pm

It was a pleasure to meet both you and Ethan, Roger.

Ethan's response to my question, "So do you have ONE favourite Gordon piece, Ethan?" "No; they're ALL my favourites!" will remain with me for a long, long time. :D

... and Ethan's souvenir CD is even now winging it's way to North Carolina... subject to two postal services and Atlantic air freight procedures!

All the very best. Mike (who hails from Bath himself.)
The older I get, the better I used to be

Roger USA

Postby Roger USA » Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:It was a pleasure to meet both you and Ethan, Roger.

Ethan's response to my question, "So do you have ONE favourite Gordon piece, Ethan?" "No; they're ALL my favourites!" will remain with me for a long, long time. :D

... and Ethan's souvenir CD is even now winging it's way to North Carolina... subject to two postal services and Atlantic air freight procedures!

They really are all his favorites sorry "favourites" I am still in England after all. I started to use Gordon's music to sooth him when he was an infant and it has stuck with him ever since.

Thank you so much for the CD and thanks again for making us so welcome.

Roger (& Ethan)

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Hello Mike.

This FORUM gives me the opportunity to thank you SO much for not only your time given FOC at Gedling but all the other times over the past few years. You are a great friend and a great sound man. We missed you dreadfully at Darley Dale!

Thankyou also for the CD you kindly sent of Fridays concert. It sounded really good and you could hardly tell how freezing cold I was pretty much throughout the performance.

What a joy to meet Ethan and for him to have been a part of the evenings history. What an amazing boy he is and I'm sure that his family are mighty proud of him. I hope he remembers as he gets older that night where everyone made a fuss of him and made him feel special...which he is of course.

My thanks to Paul and David and indeed everyone for making the evening what it was...cold but good.

Love to all.

G & H.

GORDON
Site Admin

Postby GORDON » Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Roger USA wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:It was a pleasure to meet both you and Ethan, Roger.

They really are all his favorites sorry "favourites" I am still in England after all. I started to use Gordon's music to sooth him when he was an infant and it has stuck with him ever since.

Thank you so much for the CD and thanks again for making us so welcome.

Roger (& Ethan)

And the same from me also Buddy. Say hi To Ethan for me.

Be Well.

G.

Mike Stranks

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:... and Ethan's souvenir CD is even now winging it's way to North Carolina... subject to two postal services and Atlantic air freight procedures!

What a prescient comment... the CD has just arrived!!! :o

Mind you it's not too bad considering it's travelled via Australia! Roger has done the maths and reckons that that little memento of a GG concert travelled 20,000 miles (minimum) before reaching its intended recipient.

So Gordon's music is well-travelled even if the best he's managed personally so far this year is the Channel Islands! :lol:
The older I get, the better I used to be

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”