Spring Arts Centre, Havant, June 15, 20 12

Posts on this board should be directly about Gordon's concerts. Comments, reviews or questions relating to Gordon's concerts are welcome here.

Moderator: GORDON

Alan Cooper

Spring Arts Centre, Havant, June 15, 20 12

Postby Alan Cooper » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:34 pm

A fantastic show at Havant Arts Centre.
Wonderful to meet Gordon, who I first saw at Brighton Dome in 1978.
Thanks Gordon for signing my old vinyl, and my new CD. Amazing to meet you and shake you by the plucking hand!

I am a journalist at the Chichester Observer.
My review in edited form, which also appeared in The News, Portsmouth, Monday, June 18, can be read here

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/lifestyle/g ... -1-3962837

Here is the full version:

Gordon Giltrap
Spring Arts Centre, Havant

One-hit wonder to some, virtuoso to others, Gordon Giltrap remains one of this country's finest guitarists.
He held a sell-out audience spellbound with two hours of instrumental excellence.
His fusion of folk, classical and rock guitar-playing remains unique and as hypnotic as when I first saw him more than 30 years ago at Brighton Dome, when his joyous hit Heartsong neared the top 20 in the charts.
Surrounded by an array of acoustics and one electric guitar, the affably chatty musician dazzled with his ability to make his instruments sing, chime and howl.
At times, with added echo effects and live double-tracking it seemed one could almost see the sparkling cascades of notes bounce around the room.
Some numbers paid tribute to his own guitar heroes, the late Bert Jansch and Bert Weedon.
His rock sensibilities showed when he lost his way during a complex baroque piece and began strumming Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water, to the audience's delight.
The Dodo's Dream was a phenomenal show-stopper in itself, but “a medley of my greatest hit” Heartsong brought the house down.
And the purity of his rendition of George Harrison's Here Comes The Sun, for me, topped off a wonderful evening of music.
ALAN COOPER[/size]

Roger

Re: Spring Arts Centre, Havant, June 15, 20 12

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:27 am

Alan,

What a pleasant surprise to pick up my copy of "The News" last night and come across your review of Gordon's Havant gig (great news that it was a sell-out too!) :D :D :D It's long been my belief that Gordon doesn't always receive the support he rightly deserves when he visits the South. However, his last two gigs have been sold out, Portsmouth's one and only radio station now regularly plays his music and mention his gigs and now a great review in the local press - excellent! Long may it continue :D :D :D

Best wishes,

Roger

Return to “Gordon's Concerts”